Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engineers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Are there any engineers here? I'm starting my first day of first year engineering here at the University of Saskatchewan tomorrow. I'm good at the whole math and sciences deal, still not convinced its for me though. I was going in with plans to do physical engineering... but rocket science.... no more motivation for a massivly difficult course... chemical... not a fan of chemistry... electrical... theres really no money or interesting careers... Civil, well... thats just bridge/neighborhood design....

Makes me think I should just go with what I wanted and transfer to the education and make way less money. If only I didnt have such expensive taste haha. Wow, turned into a rant.

Anyways, if you want to share any advice or cool experiences or whatever with your engineering school or career let me know about it. There is atleast one engineer here, right? :)

PS. I'm not trying to sound whiny.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Physics dual major at Embry-Riddle Aero. Univ.

If you're not going to like it though, get out now. While it's early and cheap! To put it into perspective; what degree you graduate with you're stuck with (unless you go for more schooling), and stuck doing for the rest of your life. Life's too short to suck, so do what you can to make the best of it.

-Ray

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Electronics and Communications major here. The only time I found it useful was when I was big into Ham radios and CBs. The last time I operated a scientific calculator was 1989.

There's always someone building something out there so how about Civil? Your products also last a long while so you will have something to show your grandchildren. Not to mention a legacy for when you're gone.

Whatever career path you choose, good luck!

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'm an engineering student and I love the course I do. Although I think that I'm the only one in the past three years who's actually enjoyed doing the course.

My engineering discipline is Mechatronics where you learn about automated equipment how to program machines, computer networks electronics Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) and loads of other stuff. For a project in my second year I built a machine the fed a square piece of perspex on to a table where by it was then drilled removed from the table and sent down a conveyor belt. I had to design build wire and program the whole machine from scratch. Last years project was turning on/off a conveyor belt from any computer on the college network(a lot trickier than it sounds).

I must say that what I've learned in terms of electrical and electronics has come in very useful while trying to understand and read technical spec of amplifiers and PA systems. It has also come in useful when understanding more technical conversations going on in here as well. This particular field has a lot of job oportunities in it also.

Although I'm thinking of packing the last to years of the course into play music instead. I'll go back to it sometime in the future.

If it's not what you want to do though I wouldn't do it. Maybe take a year out to decide fully what path you want to take and ensure that its the right one for you. Of course what you do in college doesn't always dictate what you do in life. My dad works with a qualified Civil engineer who's now doing computer programming which is a good deal away fomr civil engineering.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Chem E here. I love it. Chemistry 1, 2, and Music appreciation were the only three classes I truly looked forward to going to while I was in community college. World Lit 1 and 2 were fun, but forgetable.

I second Ray in saying that get out while you can unless you absolutely love it.

6. wow ray, you must be a friggin genius. Rocket Scientistin the making, how long have you been at it? And as far as being stuck with a degree.... Dont engineers have an extremely wide range of career options no matter the type.... I mean I hear a lot of companies will hire anyone with a degree and just train you. And there are technician jobs, business ownership oppertunities etc.

syc... what did you mean by "The only time i found it useful"?

My dad is an Electronics tech, he doesnt like his work, or the company atleast.... he asks me... why do you want to be an engineer..... my response is something along the line of variety, and oppertunity... I like to build things, i've built 2 boats and other tidbits, but really, I dont know.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No kidding. I ended up in the Navy. My graduate degree is not eng related either.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    If you like to build things I'd recommend mechanical engineering. When I was in second year the guys doing mechanical built a hovercraft from scratch which is pretty cool.

If you could build a boat how about doing something like carpentry or cabinet making type thing

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I never got a chance to apply what I learned professionally. We had a fairly prosperous family business which I focused on after college. When that gig tanked I ended up joining the military.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It depends on the company really. I know that if who I'd work for were looking for an A.E. or E.P., they wouldn't hire a Civil and train them.
    And no, I am no genius. I just have a _ton_ of determination. I've been at it for one full year now, and have 3.5 left. I also minor in math and physics automatically.
    I love every minute of it though. With these two majors & minors, I'm open to everything from designing the next cars, the next propulsion, to medical study.
    If you feel the need to talk engineering, or music, feel free to hit me up, I'm on a lot and always up for a chat. :)

-Ray

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    audio engineer here. graduated recording workshop late spring 05. yea!

but i dont think its the same type of engineering.

12. Ahh so you havnt quite gotten too much of a taste of the EP or AE classes yet.... just a ton of math. deffinatly good luck with that. and I'll surely hook you up with a PM.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Actually, I have. Last year my team launched a rocket to 75 nautical miles. We also designed a satellite, and an aircraft to transport the satellite. Neither of those were built though. Also did lots of kick arse stuff with NASA and Lockheed Martin.

-Ray

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm a Civil Eng student, majoring on Project Management.

Now, I think you need to decide what you like and study that.

I don't like the "you don't have to do that for the rest of your life"-mentality - not that you will do it for the rest of your life, but that if you are going to spend several years of your life on studies, you better have fun while doing it. Life's just too frigging short to waste, and settling in mediocre is for mediocre people anyways.

I chose Civil because I felt I can do interesting stuff which everyone can see and experience - majoring in project management will help me to be the one to pull the strings. And of course I don't have to spend all my life in Civil field, good manager is a good manager where ever he is.

But how about the Eiffel Tower or the Golden Gate Bridge? Who wouldn't want to be able to say "I was the one who made that happen"! Hence, Civil.

So, if you feel like you'd like to take part on some technical matters, study engineering. You will have a special field, but an engineering degree really tells that you are a guy who can think in engineers kind of way.

There's only one thing not to do: don't go to study something because you want to get you some money. Because, who do you send to a music academy, average joe who wants to have a dayjob of some kind, or a really talented kid you know will be a great jazz musician some day? No, first find out what you would love to do all the time anyways, then go to school to get good at it and paid for doing it!

15. I don't have much advice, but if you need help with your physics I'm doing my Master's in the physics department at U of S. Just shoot me a pm.

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Mechanical Engineering student at Lawrence Tech. Grr private school prices, yay private school reputation. Anyway, I really enjoy it. But if you don't want to be an engineer, don't go to school for it. You'll end up burned out fast, and that's never pretty.

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Graduated electrical engineer from University of Virginia; just started my Master's at George Washington University while working for the Army. If you're a good engineer, there is a job for you, although the job market has slumped a bit in the past few years, so it may take a few months to find one. I love being an engineer, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Not every class you take will be the most useful, but if you get a technical job, a lot of the theory and general practices will be very important. There is a lot of math, but engineering isn't all about numbers... it's about understanding various systems, and how they work and interact in their respective environments. Take a few courses, see if you like where it's heading, and then decide. There is a world of opportunity for dedicated engineers, so if nothing else, you won't be holding yourself back with an engineering degree.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any mechanical engineers PM me if you wanna answer a fwe questions for an interview i need to do for my engineering class.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Network Engineer here. Yeah, laugh all you want, but you'll thank guys like me when you sit down with your Frappaccino at Starbucks tonight to study, pop out your laptop to connect to a wireless network and see what's up at TalkBass. :D

-Mike

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hardwire.

Dude, that is nothing to laugh about. If the networking that you do is anywhere near as advanced as the one at State, damn. I could not and would not be able to do that. Ours has network keys and password checks before you even allowed to link up with the school net. I imagine they have a pretty strong content filter, but I never checked.