Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

England is a severe pain in the derriere...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewk, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    ...for G&L.

A little bit of back history....

I went to a large UK chain store (which happens to be the closest music store to me that deals G&L) and I tried out an ASAT semi-hollow sitting down. I was in love.

I then came on here and read about neck dive issues and such

I intended to go back to said store and try it out again, with strap, but it had gone. No big deal, I thought.

So I ask the guy, if I wantd to buy one, if they get them regularly or if they have to be ordered. In a mildly confused manner he told me they had to be ordered, and I would have to lay down a 50% deposit on it. These basses are £1250 (approx. $2290). I don't know what the going rate for these are in the USA, could anyone inform me? I can partially understand the large deposit if its ordered from G&L with the exact specs I ask for, but in the meantime, how the hell am i supposed to try one out to know if i really do like it or not? I need to try one with a maple board! (thats another point, they tried to convince me rosewood sounded better. the whole point of it, in my opinion, is personal preference, and anyone who cared about instruments would not try and put the hard sell on me)

This I found ridiculous. I'm a student, i've been saving for months for this bass, and still have a fair way to go (oh yeah, they tried to sell it me on credit. thats a laugh) But why is it the only place in north england that seems to have these dang things available are an extremely "high street", seemingly unknowledgable, possibly overpriced, bunch of monkeys!

I have checked the G&L website for closest distributors. There are a couple that are an hour or so drive away but this is sheer annoyance. Thankfully, they all have phone numbers, and I am sure one of them will be a decent enough shop to give me knowledgable information and advice.

Sorry for ranting, I just felt I had to get out my fury of the one music shop that stocks these (so far) dream basses are the ones I despise above all others!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Jeez, that seems like a lot of money for a G&L. You could get a custom instrument for less from a UK builder:

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

3. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    Have you tried online? I see ASATs all the time on Ebay. I also think that Musicians Freind sell the ASAT. And I see them going for much less than what you would pay in the UK.

I am not up on the importing laws and stuff, but that could be an issue.

4. 99% of auctions on Ebay for basses are north america only at the very least, and MF is USA only.

5. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    I know that alot of ebayer do not like to ship overseas, but you could always email them and assure them that you are not some indonesian or ukranian scammer.

I was not aware that MF did not ship overseas.

6. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    yeah, it really is a lorryload of money!

I'm looking at those shukers right now, have you ever played one? they look pretty cool. The problem i have with guitrs like that is its damn hard to actually play them, but then, i suppose when your payign this kind of money it pays off to travel distances to try them. A custom bass would be damned cool...i think i'd have to have SIMS LEDs on there if i could afford it!

This is going to be a very logn term investmenet in a guitar so i need to make sure i get the right one. Its tough at this level though!

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I assue you're talking about Jay at Dawsons?

If you are, then he has always been great with me and super knowledgeable about the ASAT, and importing G&L's.

NExt time you go in make sure you talk to him, hees having his own 5 string G&L asat ordered. Most of the other there know jack **** about the basses.

EDIT:

oh and on importing, trust me its REALLY REALLY not worth it. lemme tell you how the tax works out:

Price of instrument + Price of shipping + insurance.
    times that by 3.2% import duty.

take that price, and add V.A.T which is 17.5%

then, customs will take about 30 mins to decide this on your behalf and will charge you approx £60 administration.

so, lets say the bass is £900, shipping and insurance is £100. this means that on average a £900 bass you buy outside the EU costs you £1300.

AS you can see its not a good deal. if you think as i did, that things marked as gifts did not incurr tax, they dont, but have to be worth less than €45, which is about £30

8. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I'm actually talking about two different people, and the shop may be the one you mentioned! The guy who i was talking to about ordering one wasn't the same one who tried to tell me rosewood sounded better than maple. The one who told me rosewood was better than maple I liked, he was enthusiastic and did seem to know what he was on about! I wouldn't say "super knowledgable" as he didn't actually know what each dial and switch did, but seemed more into it than anyone else there.

But i guess everyone has their own area of expertise.

EDIT: And yeah, importing isnt a good move in this case i don't think.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I own two (a matched fretted/fretless 6 string pair). Three if you count the ABG he made for me with his former partner (no longer on offer, apparently). Had them shipped into the States and all.

I love mine, and Jon is a real pleasure to work with. He's a good guy, and very conscientious; he wants to get you what you need. And unless he's taken an apprentice, it's a one man shop: if you ask Jon to build you a bass, he's the one doing it, he doesn't job the work out.

If you need something special, he'll try to work with you. For instance, I'd been hearing about wood control knobs and liked the look, so I asked him if he could give it a try, even though it wasn't a listed option at the time. He said fine and figured out a way to do it for me. Also, if you notice, his basses have a little wood tongue at the high end, sort of like an MTD. I asked him to put partial 25th and 26th frets on the tongue, and he did that too. And he can tweak the neck dimensions to get them where you like them, if you know you have specific preferences. The necks on my Shukers are more to my taste than any neck I've ever played.

Downside of ordering from Jon is that you'll have to wait a bit to get your bass, unless he already has something going that fits your needs and isn't spoken for. Upside is that that gives you a bit more time to get the $$ together.

I can't recall how far Sheffield is from Manchester, but you could always try to get over to his shop. Failing that, give him a call. Tell him hi for me and tell him I sent you.

If a Shuker doesn't work out for you, then good luck in your ongoing search.

10. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Sheffield isn't too far at all, i could get the train, it's less than an hours journey. I may give the guy a ring, and see what he has to say. I quite like the idea that if i got a custom it would be unique to me. It's a thought that sits nicely. I presume he is able to advise me when i know little about technical specifications? I can tell him what i like (stingray/G&L size necks, maple fingerboards, active electronics, warm yet punchy sound but fairly versatile etc. etc) but i'm not sure of the true technical terms for all this. woudl you suggest doing some research first or just wade straight in to see what he says?

Edit: BONUS, the shops literally around the corner from the train station. Think i might give him a ring/send an email and take a trip up there next week.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just tell him what you told us in this post. No special technical vocabulary required! Jon will certainly have some suggestions about choices you could make to help you get what you want.

12. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Superb, thanks for the point in this direction, it gives me another option i hadn't considered before!

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Take a look at www.bassnw.com as they have plenty of G&L on hand, used and new. Drop them an email and ask how much to ship to the UK. There was a thread started the other day about buying gear in the States and shipping across. Check the Misc thread.

I've bought from them in the past and it worked very well. Good operators.

14. moog

moog

Jun 24, 2002
    38º 4´N 9º 8´W
    Regarding this subject, I should say that so far I've bought most of my gear from the US, with great results.

Bear in mind that I have to pay 19% VAT, and it is still worth it. I can get access to a used market, far more competitive than in my country.

The downside is the customs clearance (they have to stamp papers and stuff, you know ;)).

My last buy was from fellow TB'er kipknee, a superb TRB 6P.
    700 USD + 100 USD (transport) + approx 150 USD (customs and VAT). 950 USD is a good deal (IMO) for this wonderful bass.

15. moog

moog

Jun 24, 2002
    38º 4´N 9º 8´W
    Sorry, that should be 210 USD for VAT and customs. Still a good deal for ~1010 bucks.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey Lewk,

I think you need to go to the dudepit and ask this question over there, also glguitars.com, that's the G&L site sorry I couldn't import the link and you can custom order your G&L to your specs, necks size, make and model, finish, woods, oh yeah baby. If you sold on the tone of the G&L ( I sure as heck am) don't settle for anything less. Just save those pounds a little longer and put off the purchase. I also heard of this company in California called Buffalo Bros music I think? I'll look for it and post the link but they are the largest in North America from what I heard and have a lot of used intruments way more affordable than what that guy was trying to tell you. PM me I'll try to help if you need it. I also heard the neck dive thing is hardly an issue since they repositioned where the strap connects to the bass, food for thought...peace

17. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I do love that bass, but i'm not prepared to deal with people who seem to come across like they care more about the money than the instrument, and people who don't seem to know exactly what they are selling me. this is a huge chunk of money and a big investment for me!

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Screw that money hungry clown! You have other options so he can go jump off a bridge.