Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Englehardt Bridges

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mark Carlsen, Feb 3, 2005.

1. I am letting all you cats know who are thinking of buying an Englehardt to just be aware of a few things.
    In general these are decent starter basses[The same mold as a Kay] you don't get an Ebony fingerboard unless you buy an S-9,The neck angle is low,but this is for another discussion.
    Today I'm working on a new C-1, I guess and of course this company saves money on using cheaper fittings.I tell all my clients to expect to pay $ 400.00 to 600.00 to upgrade these parts which include bridge,endpin.fingerboard work,strings,etc.
    So this bass is a school bass and they are on a strict budget [Like 400.00 or so] So I said I would try to install adjusters on the exsisting bridge, Big mistake....
    You see I already have seen many an Engle bridge and my guess its a poormans copy of a good European maple blank.[Prolly some kind of Home -Repo Maple]
    So I'm gettig ready to drill and tap for adjusters and one of legs snaps off on the drill press.
    Closer examination reveals it is Slab Cut,Not Quarter Sawn like most decent bridges out there !!!!!
    Well, you know the rest of the story and I have a client who bought thier first bass from Music 123 coming to see me this weekend.Needleess to say after telling him about the typical upgrades on an Englehardt I will show him this bridge and insist on a new on for his bass.
    And you wonder why 'Made in America' sometimes gets a Bad Rap....

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The bridges that come with the Christopher basses are terrible as well. I had mine replaced with an Aubert Deluxe as soon as I got it. It made a big difference.

3. Adrian,
    They have gotten better because a few of us a year or two back complained ,so now at least they look somewhat like a European blank.These Engle's though....

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Issues with stock Engel bridges are nothing new. They're all slab-cut maple, and most buyers who do their research know that they will likely want to replace it when purchasing a new Engel. Not sayin' that's the way it should be, but... Meanwhile, the Chrissy bridges are pretty decent, but I have seen a few that were kinda pithy.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It doesn't really make much sense to use their blanks anyway. In light of the cost of having a bridge properly fitted and adjusters installed, the cost of the blank is nominal.

6. Chasarms,
    I charge about 1/6th of the cost of a new adjustable bridge just to install adjusters in an existing bridge.Thats why this is frusrating ,because as I mentioned this is a school bass and the client has a tight budjet.Why doesn't Englehardt get w. the program and at least supply a decent bridge Blank? Are they that Cheap?????

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    At the risk of firing up another outsourcing debate (which I'd really prefer not to), I don't think it's so much a matter of them being cheap as it is a matter of them doing what they can to stay competitive within their price points. You'll note there are no other large-scale *US* laminated bass manufacturers in existence today.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I am guessing that price assumes the existing bridge is otherwise correctly fitted. With my Engelhardt, there was a need for not only the adjusters, but also the bridge itself needed to be properly fit at the feet, cut down/reshaped and thinned along the leading edge. Pretty much everything you'd do with a new blank. You just end up with a few less whittle flakes on the floor.

My suggested it'd be silly to to put that much sweat in an otherwise inferior thing. I think I paid an extra $50 at most for the actual decent quality blank.