1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Englehardt EC-1 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Someguy87, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Someguy87

Someguy87

Apr 9, 2009
    Dallas
    Hey so i recently came across a cheap one of these and I was wondering how everyone feels about them...it is a student model...but what does that even mean? It will end up costing about 800 dollars total. Is this worth it?

2. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    What year is it ? Condition ? Some Engelhardts are very much worth $800.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    They're okay, you can certainly work with them. If it's setup properly and doesn't need anything, it's worth $800. It's been a while, but it seems like they retail just under $2,000 with a good setup. Don't hold that value well, though.

For student jazz ensembles, it could work well for you.

4. Yeah, with setup, these are 2000 or more. More of a jazzer's or bluegrass player's bass than a true orchestral model -- that is, these have always seemed better suited to pizz playing than for bowing. But then again, a good player can do anything with any ol' bass.

5. Huh? You can get that model for under $1K shipped, plus setup costs.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, a new EC-1 with full setup for "2000 or more" (assuming we're talking dollars) would be quite over-priced.

To the OP-- assuming it's in fine condition and needs no further setup work or repairs, $800 would be a good deal for what it is. If you are able to stretch your budget then, IMO, spending $1500 or so on a better-designed, better-sounding bass would actually be a better deal.

7. Its what I play, and its served me well over the years. I had the action drastically lowered on my Engelhardt bass, and love the result. $800 is a good price.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I just saw one at Hammond Ashley and I don't think it was less than $2,000. I seem to remember them selling them for something like $1,800 years ago. I don't doubt that we could find someone on-line selling them for less than that, but then figure at least a few hundred in set up. I also agree that near that price range, there are basses I prefer, though there's nothing wrong with Engleharts for school or casual gigs.

At any rate, I think we all agree that if the $800 bass is in good condition and the OP likes it, it's fairly priced and not a "WARNING STAY AWAY" instrument like so many that we see for this price.

9. ztpbassman

ztpbassman

Apr 11, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought the one with the ebony trimmings (ES-1) for 800 bucks to act as a travel/club date bass. I'm fussy so it took me a while, and several trips to the luthier, until I had it to the point I was really comfortable with it. Sounds nice. Feels good now. Slender neck doesn't bother me. I with it were an Eb neck instead of a D, but I'm living with it the way it is. Built like a tank, is the often heard quote. Sounds nice with my Upton pickup and bows surprisingly well. I put Labella 7720's on it, which I liked better than the Spiro weichs, and it seems to have opened up with those strings.

My question: is it comfortable? Can you play it now, or will you need a bunch of work? That dramatically changes the cost effectiveness. If durability is a factor, then this is a good choice.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've played so many of them as rentals/loaners/road basses. They're like cockroaches, they're everywhere. I've even had a couple laying around the house for awhile, just passing through. I'm okay for an evening, but I couldn't deal with that skinny neck over the long haul. My wrist hurts just thinking about it.

11. I used one for a couple years and liked it for the price. It was a solid and serviceable pizz bass but a little weak in the low register which I could not fix with upgrades to strings, bridge or tailcord. Some don't like the old orange color (which Engle no longer uses) but I had no problem with the color, in fact it drew compliments. I also liked the slender neck and full round fingerboard and prefer it to my present Kay in this respect.

If has a decent set-up and strings and overall in good shape then $800 is a good price.

12. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I got mine on a rent-to-own program starting in 1994. I believe the final price was around $1700 or so (obviously being higher than normal as a rent-to-own and getting a case/bow with it). Over the years, I've upgraded the tailpiece, tailgut, strings, bridge, and repaired the treble back/side seam when the back shrunk. It got me through middle school, high school, college, and a few years of gigging before I bought an upgrade. My teachers in college were quite impressed with the tone and volume that this plywood bass put out. I still take it out for shows where I don't want to risk my nicer basses.

Figure a new one online is around $1300 shipped, plus a case/bag, setup, and any upgrades you want to make. $800 is a good price assuming the bass is in good condition/setup. I wouldn't let mine go for a penny less than $1000.