Englehardt EM1?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tplyons, Oct 27, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What do you all think of the EM1? I read that Englehardt bought the Kay factory, and from what I understand, Kay is the standard for most basses made. I'm looking to get a bass for Christmas, and looking mostly at the Englehardts from Bob Gollihur. Is there anything special about the EM1 over the EC1? Is there anything else you would recommend in the price range?

Also, what should I look for in a bow? Any other accessories that I will need?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi Tim,
    This is an often discussed question. You would be well served to do a search on the forum and find previous comments.

My quick two cents is that Englehart is not Kay. An old Kay bass can be a real gem for the right style. Engleharts are functional, but have never been anything to write home about.

As far as the difference between the basses, I believe one has a rosewood fingerboard, and the other has ebony. Go with the ebony.

All of that being said, if (All Hail) Bob G knows what you're looking for and what you're going to be playing on it, he won't lead you astray. Alot of guys here trust him a great deal.

Good Luck. Search the board.

3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Man, you should do a little homework before stating boldly something like this !
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I wouldn't be quite so harsh about Englehardt. They are about as close as you can get to a "new" Kay and a much better bet than those $600 Chinese firewood basses with the fake German and Italian brand names that are all over eBay.

It's not a lot different than buying a new Fender today, yeah it has the brand name as a pre-CBS bass but it's not made in a small factory in Fullerton, CA any more.

The M has rosewood fittings (as did most Kays), you don't get ebony on an Englehardt until you get into the ES models. But for only about $100 more it is a lot better built bass than the EC-1 which has "ebonized" fittings (i.e. any wood they feel like using painted black to disguise it).