Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Englehardt questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by radsboy, May 27, 2003.

1. radsboy

radsboy

May 27, 2003
    Maine
    Is an Englehardt ES-1 as good a you can do for that money, or should I look elsewhere?

David

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. It depends on your definition of "That Money".

You can get an ES-1 at www.urbbob.com for about $1300, drop-shipped from Engelhardt. You can send email to bob@gollihur.com to get an exact price, but that's a pretty close ballpark amount.

Unless you can get it for that price with a full setup, I hope you aren't paying any more than that.

Engelhardts come "playable right out of the crate", but doesn't mean that they have a setup, per se, done on them.

Someone who's actually done a setup has made sure the action is a good height, installed a better bridge, strings of your choice, and maybe planed the fingerboard.

You also might want to visit www.cutting-edgemusic.com, and check out a Strunal A535 hybrid. ($1430).

It's top will make it sound better than the ES-1, and it will continue to sound better as it's played, unlike the ES-1.

A lot of people also claim that the A504(50/4) has a warmer sound than the ES-1, and is an equivalent bass (All plywood, ebony board) for $1110.

Most people also say that they find the Strunal finishes to be on the "Orange" side. A picture of a Strunal, from an Ebay auction, is attached.

They aren't all THAT orange, but are moreso than an ES-1.

4. radsboy

radsboy

May 27, 2003
    Maine
    Thanks for your replies.

I did what I should have done first, i.e. read the FAQ. And I was pleasantly surprised to read favorable comments about the American Standard bass, which is what I have now (3/4).

It needs work and the guys in my band (www.bluenorthernband.com) have been telling me to buy a new one - but what I really have to do is get it to a luthier and see what can be done.

thanks again - this looks like a great forum and I hope to learn a lot more.

David

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    RADIKALKIND,

Welcome to Talkbass. There's a lot of good info here if you know where to look. Remember, the newbie links are only the beginning, and we have a pretty good search engine at the site as well (which is how I compiled them). My old Standard is a good bass, and it was a GREAT bass before I had to have the top patched for the second time...by that time, I had just bought a carved bass and opted for the budget repair. What kind of shape is yours in, and what's the serial #?

Also, please fill in as much of your profile as you can stand so we can answer your questions more fully. :cool:

6. radsboy

radsboy

May 27, 2003
    Maine
    Chris:

thanks.

My Standard is s/n 2101 - any idea how old that makes it?

It's in fair shape. The edges of the top and back are worn down nearly flush in a few places. A former owner must have been really short and played without much of an endpin, as the bottom of the back is badly chipped away.

There's no structural problem visible in the body - but the neck is pretty badly warped - so that there is a pronounced curve in the fingerboard. The action is very high in the lower positions, but if I lower the bridge to where it is better, the strings buzz on the bottom end of the fingerboard even when playing the first few notes above the nut.

I know there are fixes for this - I saw one bass where a shim was fitted between the fingerboard and neck, efffectively leveling the playing surface. It felt great! The owner told me it had cost about $500 to do that and to install an adjustable new bridge as well.

It sounds pretty good - not as loud as some new inexpensive ones I've played - but I hope a good set-up would increase the volume as well as playability. I use an amp when playing out, but most of our practice and "picking" sessions are all acoustic. I need a little more punch when the banjo and dobro get into high gear! And not so much that I want super loud volume as I like having a big dynamic range to move around in.

As I said, I'd a lot rather get this one improved than I would buy a new one!

D.

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Let me ad my 'howdy' as well, from all the way down here in Portland. Where is Belmont?

Nice site for the band. You must be the king of bluegrass French horn!

8. radsboy

radsboy

May 27, 2003
    Maine
    Hi Samuel:

You must know my pal Phil Divinsky?

Belmmont is just inland from Belfast.

thanks for compliments on the site.

Looking forward to meeting you sometime,

D.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For what it's worth, the neck/fingerboard is exactly where you'll probably get the most improvement on one of these monsters (well, the bridge, too) assuming the top and bass bar are okay. Before the near-fatal injury, the fingerboard was the weakest link on mine.

Also, should you decide to go the new route, I have a couple of students with Shen plywoods which sound great, and which come in at just under $2K. I'd love to own one.

10. Steve Ma

Steve Ma

Dec 30, 2002
    Salinas, CA
    I purchased a ten year old S-1 a few months ago. It was setup properly so I didn't need to do much to it. The bass had Thomastik Spirocores on it, but I wasn't getting the volume from them. I thought it might be the bass itself. I recently put on a new set of Obligatos and it really sings now. The strings are easy to play, sound is warm with loads of volume.

11. Hey Rads, I got a flyer from International Violin on their "Jammin' June Sale" today with the Concert model 3/4 Englehardt for the low low price of $775. I personally don't care for the newer Englehardts compared to my 81 m model but hey at that price if you don't you won't lose any money on it, unlike the chinese basses.
    Is this not a great site--there is a huge amount of knowledge to be gained here for your average bluegrasser. See you back at B.R. Mike.

12. radsboy

radsboy

May 27, 2003
    Maine
    Hey Mike:

thanks for the heads up, I have their flyer which has that bass on sale for a lot more than that! They must be overstocked.

I have firmly decided to invest my money in repairing the American Standard bass I now own.

Hey do you know the BG band Carolina Rebels? Their bassist, Bob Dockery, is such a nice guy! He can really play! I met him recently at a fest they played at, and he let me play his bass later at a pickin session - it was the most beat bass I ever played, and old Kay which he told me his younger brother used to play with Carter and Ralph Stanley!