Englehardt Swingmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, May 31, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys...so I'm finilly going to get an upright!!! and have decided on a new Swingmaster. I've never played or heard one. How do they sound. I'm going to be using it for rockabilly, reggae, swing, and in my ska/pop band. Should I look at getting and old plywood?
  2. If you've never heard or played one, how do you know that's what you want? By the look? Granted, it's a good looking instrument (at least some of the ones I've seen were), but I wouldn't buy on appearance alone.

Find one and try it out. If you don't already play upright, take along someone who does. Compare it to other Englehardt models, and to other brands. There are other fine basses in or near the same general price. Only you will know what is has the right sound and the right playability for you.

As far as finding an older plywood bass is concerned, you may be able to find a good one for what a Swingmaster will cost, but you are more likely to find one that will need some additional setup or repair work. It all depends on your budget, and how long you're willing for such a search to take. I looked for two years before I found the one I wanted.

Good luck.
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    true...it's just that there isn't any places around me that sales uprights. I would love to play one first and see for myself
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    If you've never played an upright at all, then you may not realize whether or not it's worth buying...take someone you know who has some experience. Then, buy a new one from Bob Gollihur at http://www.urbbob.com Highly trustworthy fella who'll make sure you get one in good shape.