Englehart 3/4 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by steve in tampa, Jan 11, 2006.

1. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    I am a mandolin player looking to enlarge my playing. I know about quality mandolins, and how the MAS road goes.

Looking for a 3/4 to drag around festivals, and to use in the home for our band practices. For the music we are doing, we just need to cover the bottom end, and we will be trading off duties on the bass.

Looking at what is available, I would prefer to keep the little bit of money I am about to spend in the USA.

Englehart seems to be the sucessor to Kay, and I really like the neck profile on th eold Kays. Played an off brand chinese thing the other day, and it was like playing a 2x4.

Is the Englehart going to fit the bill?

Will I need a certain brand of strings?

Will I have to replace parts like tuners and bridge?

I expect I will have to get it set up.

Any suggestions or comments?
  2. Sounds like an Engle would be fine for your ourposes. You'll definitely need new strings, you'll want a new bridge with adjusters, and you'll need a basic setup. That all ran about $450 when I bought mine a couple of years ago.
  3. bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    The Engelhardt neck profile is not the same as the Kay although it is very similar.
  4. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    Any recommendations on a model? Not looking for a higher trim level, just the best player for the bucks.

Any recommendations on string brand and gauge? Want steel strings that are comfortable to play, and put out a fair amount of sound.

Is there a specific adjustable bridge in favor these days?
  5. mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
  6. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709

I have an Eglehardt EM1 that I got from Bob Gollihur (http://www.urbbob.com/). I have an udjustable bridge and gut strings. He was good to deal with. I had to go "mail order" because I live so far away from anybody who works on URB's. You will need to have it set up for it to play the best it can. As you read on this forum you will see how imprtant that is.

If you are unable to go to a luthier near you for set up though you should consider Upton, because they set them up before shipping. That is a big deal. Depending on how much you want to spend, you might check out some of their better models. Upton is a supporter of this forum and are spoken well of.

Common recommendations are:

1: Get your bass set up.
    2: Get a teacher.
    3: Practice.

Good Luck;
    Walt MI/US
  7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think whether you need new strings will depend on who set it up. Engleharts at my local shop come with Spirocores or whatever you want from a short list. Many places will replace cheap factory strings as part of the shop set up.

Which are the right strings, well....thats' a whole long rat hole. Search the strings thread and prepare for a headache.

Loud steel strings of good quality for playing without a bow. Just get medium gauge Spirocores and forget about it. Or go plain gut if you want that sound..or chase endless combinations and hybrids like those of us who are affected.

An Englehart at a school I used to study at had Spriocores E and A and plain gut of unspecified origin on D and G.
  8. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the info! This is exactly what I have been looking for!

How does the buying experieince with Bob Gollihur rate?

Rather deal with a bass guy than MF or any other big box. Looks like he has all the accessories/parts. Everything but the set up, which I can have done here.

Theres just one adjustable bridge, so that is an easy decision.

for strings, looks like Thomastik would fit the bill. I do want to learn bowing.

Anything else in th eprice range/quality range I should consider?
  9. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Bob's first rate all the way. He'll bend over backwards for you, and if anything about your purchase isn't perfect, he'll make it right.
  10. You may want to do a little reading on strings. Getting a smooth arco sound from some gauges of Spirocore strings is difficult. Also, any callouses you may have from playing the mandolin will disintegrate quickly when you begin playing the a bass with steel strings.

If you are going to be an occasional player you might want to consider nylon. While they are not very good for arco playing, nylons are cheap, easy on the fingers and have the boomy gut-like thud that many bluegrassers like.

Not if you want American. You will certainly find basses superior to the E'hardt for approximately the same price but they are made overseas.

I would also strongly recommend you take a couple of lessons from a DB teacher who can get you started on the right path. Steve Boisen, who posts here regularily, offers lessons in your area.

PS: I just noticed in the classified forum that there is an E'hardt for sale in Polk co Fl. I don't know where that is but it might be worth checking out.
  11. ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've been playing an EM-1 that I bought last spring and it has served me well. I got it out of the local paper and paid $900 for the bass along with Helicore strings, an adjustable bridge, a stand (which id on't use), and a moderate setup. I ended up having a Bob Ross replane the board and do a fresh setup, which cost me about $200, so i ended up at $1100 used. The ES series is a bit nicer with ebony instead of rosewood and a little nicer wood, adn is about $1400-$1600 new. I have dealt with Bob on several occasions and he is a great guy that will take care of you. I have never heard a bad word about him. I would buy in town if at all possible becasue you don't pay shipping, and you usually get a setup and such with the purchase.
  13. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    My local Weber and all around bluegrass instrument dealer is going to a show in Sacremental at the end of the week, and one of the things he is looking for is a good line of bluegrass grade uprights. I spoke with him about the Englehardt, and he will be loooking in to them also.

Thank you all for your good advice. Hope to be thumping (and bowing) an upright sooon!
  14. rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I was in your shoes a year or so ago. After much research and reading this and other forums (check out rockabillybass.com) I ordered a ply Christopher from Brent Norton who is a supporter of this forum and has a very interesting website. My bass is super for the bluegrass-roots music I play and it came with a good set up, adjustble bridge and tailpiece hanger upgrade. It was priced in the same range as the nicer Engle's. Brent was very good to work with particularly since I was gambling on a mail-order bass. I have also done business with Upton, Bob Gollihur and Lemur. They have all been excellent to buy from. I use Super Silver strings for the rootsy sound and feel I like although I, like many on this forum, did the "string dance" till I found what suited me.
    Good luck
  15. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    So I took delivery of an ES-1 with Eurosonic strings yesterday. Very happy with the sound and playability. I think I got an exceptional one. Looking forward to working up some of the old songs on it.
  16. Congrats on the new bass Steve. I got my new EM-1 a couple of monthes ago and am very happy with it. Been jamming with the bluegrass crowd here in North Georgia and I get plenty of compliments on the tone (even though I am not a great upright player at all) so it must be the bass.
  17. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Congratulations on the new girl in your life! I've had the ES-1 for three years now - still lovin' it. I get lots of complements on both looks and sound. Currently strung with Super Silvers.
  18. steve in tampa

steve in tampa

Jan 11, 2006
    My fingers are sore this morning...................

Love It!
  19. jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    The great thing about playing DB is that a different part of your fingers get sore than you use for other instruments. DB = more on the pads, whereas guitar for instance you use more the tips. It's great for festivals :) When one instruments starts hurting you can switch and keep on jamming.. Welcome to the DB world.
  20. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Maybe so, but you'll be proud of the callouses you'll soon have!