Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Englehart Bent Endpin!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Pacman, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I just finished a project I've been thinking about for quite a while. After going to Lynn Seaton's bass week at UNT, I've been wanting to put a bent endpin on my bass (an Englehart M1). I don't really have the scratch for an eggpin, so I've been thinking about other options.

I went to Home Depot and bought a 3/4" rod (the diameter of the Engelhart's endpin) for less than 4 bucks, and took it to a welding shop to have them cut it and bend it. The guy didn't even charge me. Got it home and I was lucky as the hight was perfect (I guessed to to be a few inches longer than the standard pin's setting when I play). I used a bench grinder to wear a flat spot for the set screw to grab (so the pin wont spin), and I sharpened the end to a point. Viola! It came out great! It's so much nicer to stand (I had been sitting) without holding the weight of the bass on my thumb. I didn't like sitting because I start to slouch and that's bad for the back. I'm really happy with the results.

Total cost: $3.58

Thanks for letting me share.

2. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Cool! Guerilla Lutherie... I dig it! :)