1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade English/American Mystery Bass, 19th century Violin-shape

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by szusman, Sep 13, 2017.

1. szusman

szusman Supporting Member

May 15, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    Strings:
    Here's a really cool bass from the 19th century, possibly of English or American origins. No label. $12,500 asking price, or open to trade for a 5-string bass.

The bass was restored by Richard Barnes (Pomona, CA) in 2014-15. Pretty sure it is cherry, and he thought it was English, 19th century, because of the wood, the shape, and the burns in the C-bouts. Richard did quite a bit of work repairing cracks (including a sound post patch), but he couldn’t fix the varnish (which had a few layers of newer varnishes), so he stripped it and tried to match the scroll which is original. So the bass now looks new, but the wood is quite old:)

It's a cool bass, however, the F-sharp is a bit challenging to playing in a standing position due to the violin shoulders (but not so bad when you are sitting down). It has Eudoxa strings on it, and comes with a ProTec bag.

The bass is currently on the east coast in Connecticut. Please be in touch with me for more information, or to arrange a viewing.

-Shanon Zusman, spzusman@gmail.com

Attached Files:

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Oh man!!!!

Wish I didn't just buy me a house that put me 100s of Thousands more in debt more than my former house ! ( But for a great reason.... Need space for mother)

That's a beauty... Even got my wife to admit it,!

Do I'm half way there...

3. szusman

May 15, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, she's a beauty. I'll always consider partial trades for Laklands :)

4. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Very unique instrument. The scroll looks very typically German but the cello shoulders look more English or American.

james condino likes this.
  5. szusman

May 15, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Correct. I cannot remember his reasoning exactly, but Richard (the luthier who did the restoration) was confident the neck & scroll was original to the body. And its varnish is original for sure as it shows slight crackling.