English and american accents.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GianGian, Sep 3, 2010.

1. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Hey!
    I am not an english native speaker, and I really like to study the different accents, particulary the ones found in the UK.
    So, I have always watched interviews from the guys from Oasis, they are from Manchester, and sometimes I have a hard time understanding what they say.
    I know that most of you are from the USA, so you can help me here. Please, listen to the following clip, it is short, about 1:30min, and tell me if you can understand what he says without effort.

Also, if there is anybody from the UK here, or anybody that happens to know, this is a typical working class accent right?

2. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    From USA.

I can understand most of what he says, some of it is a little low[volume] and slurred

3. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    I'm from the U.S. Several years ago, I spent four months in Ireland. The Irish were ten times easier to understand than that. I'm not even trying to be funny.

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Born and raised in the US. I could understand the majority of it, except for what let it fall said about some parts being quiet and somewhat slurred.

It's not as bad as trying to listen to a cuban though if you speak spanish. I swear those people can expand one lung at a time so they can keep talking at 15million miles per hour without pause.

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I'm from Scotland originally and I can understand that easily. I suppose folks in the UK get used to hearing so many regional variations.

You could say he's got a typical Mancunian (some one from Manchester) 'working class' accent, but there are so many others in the UK. Cockney, Scouse, Geordie, Brummy, Glaswegian.

Here's another one for you:

6. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Born and raised in the US. I can understand most of it, but the music in the background is distracting.

I understood most of that. The fact that he wasn't speaking fast helped a bit.

7. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    That took a while to get used to, but I found it easier to understand than the guy from Oasis.

8. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Yeah, cockney is a bit easier to understand I think. And this guy on the video, I could understand some sentences! I usually like to listen to Sean Connery speak, I know he is not from Glasgow, but he is a scot.

9. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    I find there can be great differences, though, in Scottish accents. Some are way easier to understand than others. And not knowing much about Scotland, I may not even know, of course, what part of Scotland a person is from.

10. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Yeah, of course. I said Glasgow because the video said "the Glasgow somethings"...but I think that Sean is from Endinburg, and I once read that he was told to change his accent if he wanted to play any part other than a man wearing a kilt.:p

11. I can understand most all of it. I think what throws people off is the cadence, which is quite different than the US. Plus they've got different slang terms than we do here. I guess I've watched enough British tv shows over the years to get used to it.

12. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I am quite used to lots of accents. I used to work at Heathrow Airport so heard quite a lot of them.

I think a lot of it is down to familiarity.

I went to America ( Alabama ) in 2004. What I found was that I could understand the locals quite easily but many of them could n't understand me. Every now and them someone would turn to their friend and ask "What did he say?".

I speak with a West London accent, which is slightly different to the "Mockney" accent in the British Gangster films so I suppose it was unfamiliar to many of them.

What I found was that the locals who had travelled or were more educated were able to understand me and the black people seemed more prepared to make an effort. I was a bit of a curiosity and I suspect I did n't look down at the black people, as many of the middle class whites seemed to do.

The group of people that really did n't understand me and were not prepared to make an effort to tune in to my accent seemed to be the lower class white people. Not all of them were like this but those that made no effort were predominantly in this group.

After 2 weeks I was saying things like " ve-H-icle" and starting to drawl !

13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I think Liam Gallaghers accent is very exaggerated (due to the fact that he's an arrogant ****). A friend of mine is from Manchester (lower class) and he sounds nowhere near as broad.

I can understand pretty much all UK and USA accents - sometimes the differences in scottish accents are tough to follow but I can get by :)

14. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Raised in Canada / USA - I got most of it. What I didn't get, it didn't feel like I was missing much. :D

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

16. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    For real incomprehensibility, you need some Geordies extolling the virtues of Wor-Alan. Scouse - easy, Manc - easy, Brummie - easy, Cockney - can be hard, Yorkshire - easy, West Country - hilarious.

17. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I was on a West Ham match a few years ago, and the regulars at Upton Park spoke in a fashion so strange I didn't get anything sensible out of it at all.

18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    As someone points out it's the colloquial stuff that makes the regional accents in the UK harder. Cockney can be very hard if you don't know the rhyming slang that'd been used.

BTW the Glaswegian I gave the example of is very, exaggerated, but it's similar to how some of the folks 'with attitude' speak.

Here's another good one:

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Any of you UK guys want to throw down a few examples of the more common dialects? I'm finding this really fascinating :)

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Try this one, granted it has got subtitles, otherwise no one would understand it.

It's a football player named Jamie Carragher. He has got a heavy scouse accent (Liverpool working class accent).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021