English cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petey, Sep 24, 2004.

1. petey

Jun 2, 2004
    B.S.E England
    At current I am operating a SWR WM's 4004 and am in the market for a new cab. :ninja: I need to be quick about it though cos my tour starts in 10 days. Being a resident of the UK I am restricted as regards price and product availability. As a result I only have a short list of possible cabs. Being in England and wanting to get the best deal for my money most of the cabs are European made. However, i'm extremley uncertain how some will (or will not) work with the SWR. For reference sake the SWR is 400w @ 4ohms and 260 @ 8ohms. Here is my very short list:

- Warwick 410 Pro
    - Marshall VBC412 = Bit iffy i'm thinking, but it looks so sturdy and has an awesome price.

- Orange OBC 115 = Same as Marshall really but more money.
    - Carvin RL410 = Must admit i've heard some seriously bad **** about this company which is making me wary.

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Of the cabs you mention, only the warwick would make it past the door for me - what sort of budget are we talking?

Peavey would be up there too. I owned their 8x10 cab for a while and it kicked ass... never needed any more than about a 3 on the volume to compete with a marshall 1/2 stack and double bass drummer...

What about SWR?
  3. petey

Jun 2, 2004
    B.S.E England
    Can't get SWR 410 in the UK untill the end of Oct, which sucks. Peavey is a good idea but I tried a black widow 115 a while back and didn't really like it all that much. I should have mentioned that my price range is 280-400 quid.
  4. 'Loud' cabs are taking off here, they're really cheap, but have great reviews. I think the 1200watt 4x10 is ~£180, if not less. A few people on www.bassworld.co.uk have them, PM or email 'grimble' on there for a quote.

If you search bassworld.co.uk forums for loud cabs, you'll find loads of posts.

As for the Peavey, their 10" speakers are Sheffields, not black widows. The BWs are 99% low-mids, which isn't necassarily a bad thing, but limits your tone a little. The Sheffields (esp. with a tweeter) are nice, crisp, articulate speakers.