English-English for Yanks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Sep 24, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the best tradition of a people separated by a common language.........

I met a guy at a gig the other night who said he is from Peterborough (sp?) England. He was very P.O.'d at one of the guys at the sound board/console, and said he was going to "SORT HIM OUT" in the alley during a break.

Is such a comment some kind of "English/English-ism" and how serious is it ??? I mean....are these serious fightin' words ???

I mean I'm not a total wog. I know what "around the bend" means/that you "smoke a fag"/and what is is to "go to the loo, etc."
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    It can indicate any degree of a threat, ranging from a quick word to an arranged assination (UK soaps :rolleyes: ). Just take note of the tone/events that triggered it and go from there :p
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IM guessing that just means kick his ass. Teach him a lesson.
  4. rickbass

That's one of the things that throws me, yoshi....because of what we Yanks refer to as that understated "British reserve."

In the States, we're much more confrontational - (e.g., "Look at the calendar sucker because you're not going to wake up till next week!!!"

Friends from England don't seem to beat their chests so much, IME.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"...For today is the day when they sort it out, sort it out,
    'cos they disagree on a gangland boundary.
    Yes, they disagree on a gangland boundary."

The band Genesis, "The Battle of Epping Forest" from the killer album: "Selling England by the Pound".

Yeah, beat another up.

RickBass, the bass playing on the above tune is so good. You gotta listen!
  6. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It means the same thing as "I am gonna straighten him out."

Or as Dubya would say "He needs a whoopin."

My personal favorite is one that I heard over in Ireland a few months ago:

"We are gonna have a boot-party and he's gonna be the guest of honor."

(It was a joke directed at some poor sap in a pub)
  7. rickbass

I hear you Aaron. I grew up in the "Lamb Lies Down...." days of the band. To me, that was their zenith.

Here's the thing with the guy who wanted to "sort out" the console guy - My band was into our sets after he got off so I didn't see anything........but I heard he was in the joint for a night for assault.
    I don't think the console guy knew what "sort you out" really meant. So, he got his ass stomped.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) What did you think he was gonna do? Maybe do up his buttons and straighten his tie?
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Funny you should mention this as a similar thing has come into the English language only recently that always 'jars' with me!

So - there was a big thing in the Acid House era about being "sorted" - which meant you had adequate supplies of illegal drugs - ecstacy or whatever.

This moved into popular youth culture - as in "yoof"!! ;) And even made it into songs like "Sorted for Es and wizz" (sp.?)

So all these kids were going - "sorted" to their parents - and laughing behind their backs! :rolleyes:

But eventually the parents who wanted to appear hip and trendy with the kidz started saying "sorted!" as well - to mean that they had dealt with the problem or whatever!!

So - now you hear these middle-aged but keen management types who say this, to indicate that they are still young and it really grates on me.

So you are in a meeting and the boss says - we need to get catering for this conference next month and one of the keen types will pipe up with "sorted"!! Aarggghh!!

I insist on never saying this - so I always make a point of saying something like - oh, you mean you will sort this out for us, then? ;)
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

"...and Harold Demure
    Who's still not quite sure
    Fires acorns from out of his sling

Here come the calvary"

Man, I WORE OUT two copies of "Selling" when I was a tadpole. Somehow, I've managed to not get that on CD yet, something that needs to be addressed post-haste.

"And then Mr. Lewis -
    'Isn't it time that he was out on his own?'"

Indeed it is, and soon now.

Having spent some time in the UK as a kid, I kinda got used to the whole "two cultures seperated by a common language" experience. You think Brit-English is confusing Rick, try Scot-English!

13. rickbass

I have only one word for Scot-English, Gard - SUBTITLES !!!

Then again, I once took a tour of the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN. I think I understood about every 5th word out of the tour guide's mouth!!!
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

One should hone not only thier language skills, but their instincts as well.
  15. rickbass

This is sort of what threw me off. The threats that include "chin", "oxygen tent", "window," and the "nose" are pretty clear to me in their malice.

BUT - to "sort someone out" sounds like some kind of organizational task for a file clerk.

On a positive note, at the very least, English, wherever it is spoken, is a vital language.
    I have seen comments by linguists denouncing such languages as French, which consciously attempt to keep that language "pure" with government support by not allowing terms perceived as "foreign" to "poison" that language.
    Having studied that language for years in school, I find it pretty "morte"......("dead")
  16. I can pick up on english accents pretty easily...its not too hard ime. I plan/hope to spend a semester at a uni somewhere in England actually.

I have trouble with those people with extremely thick Welsh accents :eek:
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

Its one o'clock and time for lunch,
    hum tee tum tee tum
    When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench,
    I can always hear them talk.

Me, I'm just a lawnmower.
    You can tell me by the way I walk.

OK, P. Aaron, rickbass, and Gard...I was up all night looking for that LP. I found it on cassette and slept with it running on auto flip over and over in my head until the batteries ran out.

18. enzyme

Feb 4, 2003
    FFS do you yanks know anything about the rest of the planet? He was gonna kick his arse. It's not an English expression only. We use it in Australia too.
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The one that confused me the most was variations on the word 'piss.'

We have a noun- urine, a verb- to urinate, an other verb- to anger, and every usage I have heard here was based on one of these.

What does an Englishman mean when he says he was 'taking the piss?' An American would mean he was peeing.

What does an Englishman mean when he says he 'got really pissed at the pub last night?' An American means he was really angry.

There are three or four usages I have heard but I can't think how to ask about them.
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He got drunk!