1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

English Essay - Classification - Bass Guitar Topic? Due tomorrow (help)!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Hey guys i have an english essay due tomorrow and i was wondering if you guys would consider an essay on bass guitars interesting (putting yourselves in my teacher's shoes). It's an essay on classification so i was thinking of talking about the different bass guitar classifications like...the classic four string and the ERBs, and then exotic woods and fretted vs fretless fingerboards...im not too sure it would be interesting but what is your take on it? do you guys have any suggestions?

2. A good writer can describe the drying of paint in an appealing way.

Mike

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I did a comparison/contrast essay on the differences between a Precision bass, and a Jazz Bass.

4. how would you suggest the format? a buyer's guide for players or maybe a review comparison between two basses

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    I'd just do an essay about "bass notes and the different means for delivering them in modern electric music" - maybe a word or two about bass guitar/UB history (upright's in old jazz and country music, birth of Fender Precision, Jaco and electric fretless etc.) and then explaining something about amplified uprights, EUB's and in which genres which type of instrument is popular and why from historical view.

I'd leave the technical details to minimum, unless it's about electric instrument design for woodworking school, since no-one's interested in them and you would have to waste your time in explaining the stuff to someone who doesn't know how an instrument works.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not going to offer comment on this (and I probably should as I was considered for Degree level English :meh: ) , though I did once write an essay about a music festival at my school. Thats about as close as I've came to writing about basses, these days I see nought but Wordsworth and Shakespeare...

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What style of essay have you been assigned? Informative? Comparison? Persuasive?

The answer to that question marks your logical starting point.

8. That is almost word for word what I did for my senior project last year. Both my teacher and judges loved it. :)

9. hey guys i changed my topic to mp3 players and their rape on the consumer...kind of radical...

10. I don't know why everyone on here keeps talking about that "interesting" iPod acessory....

good luck on your paper

11. I have written a ton of essays and speeches about music.

If it has to be a classification essay, you could do, different types of basses, different types of basslines, different types of musicians, different roles of instruments. I have done all of those in the past, none are too hard.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021