English Muff'n / Finally Got A Commpressor...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IcedEarthWOM, Jan 15, 2006.

1. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Was at my local music shop w/ my folks (mum was picking up a b-day present for me, and my dad was picking up a pick guard for when he does that flamenco guitar top tapping) and I saw the English Muff'n. I had $$$$ and couldn't resist :rolleyes: and I also figured that I might as well pick up a compressor as well (Punch Factory).

When I got home I decided to try out the compressor first, using it to equalize the volume dif between the two ends of my wah. All in all I was and am still very impressed. It does what I want it to do :D and and more. My tone doesn't seem to be affected, which is a good thing as I already solve the "lack of beef" problem, the booklet said it was transparent, and it doesn't lie :D and it adds some "girth" and volume to the higher strings that was lost no matter what position the wah was in. The wah caused an "EQ split" (because of the positions of the filters) that even cranking the bass on the amp didn't solve.

Using Jumping Guys I rate the PF 5/5:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Then I tried the English Muff'n, which I bought because of typhlon's reveiw and samples..... It didn't quite work out the way I had hoped :( but I almost knew that would happen because of the radical EQing that goes on in that rig. Now, back when I decided to mini-rig it with only a tuner and noise suppressor I really liked the sound I got from just the bass (w/ tone rolled off) and the treble rolled off on the amp, bass and mids flat. It was a really thick sound, and I thought at the time that if that tone got slightly broken up it would be killer :bassist:

So, I took the EM and ran a rig like so:
    Bass -> English Muff'n -> amp

I decided that because I only used my neck P-style pickup with the tone knob rolled off, that the residual line/ground noise was at an acceptable level. I set the EQ flat, the gain as low as possible, and then tweeked the master level control so there was no change in volume. Because of the tubes it acctually thicked up my sound a little :D . Then I did the next logical step and CRANKED THE MOTHER****ING GAIN TO MAX (sorry...), set the level for unity, and played :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :eek: :smug: :D . Damn it sounded good :D. I just can't get over the smoooooooth drive sound. In the end I had the EQ as: Treble = Cut Completely, Mid = Cut a Little, and Bass = Boosted a Little. This was because 1) it sounded too "scratchy" with treble, 2) it was a little midrange biased, and 3) If any bass was "lost" just a little boost brought it back :D

This thing even makes the low B sound ****ing awesome. Oh, and I really don't need a compressor for this 2nd rig as all the notes rig out equally loud and beefy. The advantage of not having really weird EQing ;)

Again, In Jump Guys, The English Muff'n Gets 5/5:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

And has now become my "mini-rig" :D
  2. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    And I found that it beefs up the bass a little as I don't need to boost as much on the amp :D

I still like the Muff'n on it's own though. Damn that thing is silent :eek: . Even with FULL gain and the master level set to slightly higher than unity gain. All I get is a little more ground noise from my bass, and that goes away as soon as I touch the strings or the bridge :smug: . I really need to get that checked out....

Hopefully I'll post some clips latter
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I've noticed an upturn in Muff'n purchases lately, I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time. With all the positive attention it's getting lately, I feel like I might just take the plunge. Does it take any bass out at all with being a guitar pedal and all?
  4. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I have the bass boosted (at around 1 o'clock) just to get a little more beef because I have the gain at max. With the gain at min I find that the Muff'n acctually ADDS bass to the signal :eek: :D . At that point I turned the bass to around 11 o'clock. I believe that tplyons said the same thing.

I like my bass dist rumbly with a little crunch so YMMV. My EQ settings ant the reasons behind them:
    Mids -> 11 o'clock -> I find that It adds a little bit more mids no matter where the gain knob is
    High (Treble) -> Rolled Off (7 o'clock) -> The treble adds edge to the signal (which I don't like)
    Low -> as stated above...

The gain, low, mid, and high knobs all make a great dif even with only a small turn so I'd recomend it to anyone. It seems to be quite the versitle pedal.

BTW it comes with 2 12ay7, which I'll probably keep using cus it sounds so sweeeeeet.

All in all I've found the perfect bass distortion :D :bassist:
  5. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Clips Here
  6. awsome

I'll be purchasing the aphex bass exciter soon. And was thinking of getting the punch factory aswell. And even though ive never played one, the muffn has been my fave distortion pedal. I have new Jekyll & Hyde on the way... will taking my guvnor II off my board, and leaving my muff on there. I would like to eventually put a muffn on and take the muff off. But that could be a way away with pricing and stuff