English Muff'n question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hyper-sloth, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I searched but want to get some opinions. I am considering adding a new tube pre to my pedal board to warm up my Markbass LMII. I currently have an ART Tube MP but it doesn't give a classic vibe. I used to have a Tech21 VT and also have a Fulltone Bass-drive, which I used the clean setting like 90% of the time. Can you get a cleanish tube sound from the English Muff'n? I do not expect solid state sterility;). I would like to get dirty overdrive tones as a bonus, but must be able to get clean tube sounds as well. All the clips I have found are distorted tones. Thanks for any input.

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    EBS ValveDrive. That's what it's made for.

3. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, I've checked that one out. Seen some mixed reviews but I guess mileage varies! I do like EBS stuff for sure. I'd like to test drive one first since they're a little pricey.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    "To Me" the Muff'n is more of a cross between a Valvedrive and a Tubescreamer.

Not as warm or tubey as the Valvedrive in my opinion. The Valvedrive can get dirty but IMHO where it excels at is a very clean hair/wool to the tone. I've had one for a while and loved it, then got an EBS Microbass as a Swiss Army Knife tool for a more modern sound and found that I could get a close enough warm grit/wool tone out of it to suit my needs, so sold the Valvedrive.

The thing some people overlook on the Valvedrive is that it has a fender tone stack. Bass - 2 Mid - 10 Treble - 2 is considered Flat on it. The Valvedrive is not going to be a ultra-clean and sharp attack pedal, it's very very very good at warm punchy tones.

I believe there's some other pedals that do this sort of thing that Bongomania's been mentioning lately, but I can't recall the name. DVH or something like that, but that's not correct. EDIT: Per below post by Bongo DHA Dave Hall Amps is the maker I was referring to.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    DHA. :) Dave Hall Amps. I haven't tried the ValveDrive yet to compare (I really should), but the DHA pedals do for me what other people have said the ValveDrive does for them.

I also used to own an English Muff'n, and I agree it wasn't all that "fat", and tended more toward overdrive tones.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The English Muff'n is essentially based off of a Marshall's sound. So it leans toward high-gain, mid-heavy sounds. I use mine as a medium grit/dirty boost pedal, which it does beautifully.
    I have never been that impressed while using it as a clean preamp. It's doesn't ever get that fat, it's just not designed for it.

7. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Cool, thanks so far! Yah, I am looking for fat tubey gooeyness (is that a word LOL). I was sorta happy the the VT but wanted a little more organic. Will check out both the EBS and the Dave Hall.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    OLC Flipster pedal also does that fat old wooley thing well. It's $170 if they build it. Less if you build it yourself.

Valvedrive's have been running around $250+/- used lately. No clue on the DHA stuff, it's relatively new to me.

9. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Just checked the Dave Hall website. The basic version runs 89 UK pounds. They look like the real deal. I'll check the build you own site. My guitar buddy's been building pedals for a while. Thanks.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  11. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Was the flipster an easy build? I notice you had one for sale a couple of months ago. I am rather deadly with a soldering iron (not in a good way.).

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's a very easy build, but I ran into hassles with the FET biasing (done with a small screwdriver turning some internal trim pots). So as long as you have some patience for the fine tuning, the build itself is cake.

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I bought a finished build from bongomania actually that only needed some tweaking, but due to time availability I never finished it off and sold it also. It did have great sounds in it and all were old sounding.

I've contemplated getting a new one built, but then I remember that I've actually recently went 'to' vintage sounding for my preference and have been sliding back somewhere between vintage and modern tone-wise.

14. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Man, I seem to have that problem! Maybe I listen to too many recordings. Semi vintage?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021