Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

English or American bass players in music history?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, Aug 31, 2001.

1. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Who do you think are better?

2. well.. given the fact that America was founded by europeans.. and thus a lot of americans originate in England.. England as the best bassplayers :)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why do you have to chose - why not appreciate the contributions of both and anyway how can you possibly characterise all the bass players of whole nations? :rolleyes:

There will be good and bad and all in between, on both sides - this is a virtually meaningless and completely unanswerable question.

4. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Yes Bruce you're right but this is just my curiosity.
    I wished to know if in your opinion there are many great bassists in England or in the United States.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, there are! :D

6. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Sorry, I would to say more great bassists in England or in Usa.
    It's clear that there are many great bassists.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Since there are no natives to the US, I would have to say England. Everyone in the US is African, English, German, Russian, French, Thai, Japanese, mix, etc. But if you are talking about people born in England vs. USA, i have no idea. The US definately has their share of jazz vituosos.

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Both countries have had major influence on the development of the bass as a musical instrument. You cannot say that one or the other is better.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    By that logic, there are no native british either. It's just a matter of how far back in history you go.

10. yeah.. there's 2 possibilities

1) we're all africans ( scientific theory )
    2) we're all from israel ( Christan theory )

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, 2 is not a real possibility, is it?