English paper! ouch!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yossarian, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    I'm trying to start a "personal narrative" essay for english. It's supposed to be about an important moment in my life... you know... that made me come out a better person or something. I got nothing. I'm probably going to have to make up an important moment, so any thoughts are helpful.

If no one has any constructive thoughts to help, feel free to just complain about how english essays are always so frustratingly pointless. d'oh.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Stick with it, it gets better, alot better. At least your teacher hasnt made you write a "what i did on my holidays" essay.

Write an essay on your love of music?
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    i go two skol too lern hov two speel
  4. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    *ponders* that's actually a really good idea. I'd have to think of something specific... i think she wants a "turning point" kind of thing, but still. thanks!
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Perhaps write about something having to do with. . . . .hmmmm. . . . . let's see. . . . . maybe. . . . .no. . . .wait. . . .oh, yeah BASS! Had any musical epiphanies lately?
  6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    How about the day you started playing bass? That was certainly a turning point in my life.
  7. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Ouch is right. I had to do one of those last year and they certainly are not fun. Use lots of adjectives and a good attention getting device.
  8. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I had one of these last year. I made up a story.

I made up a story about how I got a puppy for Christmas when I was a young boy of 9. I loved it so much. A few weeks after I had it, I got home and it was dead. It had been hit by lightning.

I used it to explain why I acted so bitter in her class. The truth was because it was English.
  9. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Write about being smacked on the butt by the doctor after your birth.

"And that's the point at which I thought what the heck, I'll give this breathing a try and see how it is living outside." :p
  10. Here's my History...

I failed English in Year 10 & 12.
    I failed Chemistry in Year 12.
    I got kicked out of Sydney University
    I got kicked out of University of Technology, Sydney.
    And I've been fired 3 times and promoted twice at the same company.

I'll say this English sometimes can be the art of Bullcr*pping.

Just make somethnig up.. or go with the love of music/bass vibe!
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so...the moral is...to stay in school? :confused:

anyway, all i can say is that i'm so FRIGGIN' GLAD i got a 5 on ap eng comp so that i don't have to worry about reading and writing essays anymore. EV-ER. :hyper:

and, like science projects, the hardest part is usually picking the topic.

...and as far as topics go, you know your life better than we do!

oh, and here's a trick that i did when i was a junior: get your teacher to help you with your essay before the due date. hopefully he/she'll be willing to do anything but proof read your paper. i would always come in after school with around ten specific questions about my essay after proofing it twice.

pretty funny. it was like getting him to correct my papers without them being graded yet!

give it a shot!
  12. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That would put an interesting twist on boring English paper themes like this.
  13. Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    If I was doing the paper I'd do it on my imaginary friend that I had in my younger years. Her name was She-Ra! I'd write that she helped me through some of the hardest times in my life. Like that one time I got suspended from school for lighitng toilet paper on fire in the boys bathroom. Or when I threw a rock and it hit my teacher and I got suspended for that too. She-Ra was there for me. Day in and day out. She helped me to keep my chin up during the depressing times of 3rd grade suspension. She-Ra was very sexy and classy woman. She-Ra was there when I got my first 'wood'! I loved her.

I suggest finding something simliar for yourself, since I doubt She-Ra was your imaginary friend. I bet Optimus Prime had a postitive role in your life. Mabye you can write about him!
  14. as an english teacher, i don't mind if a student makes something up instead of writing about a real experience. i always welcome creative writing. but if you're going to make something up, make it interesting.
  15. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    thanks everyone! I pulled together a paper about playing a gig... no specific one, just a composite of all that i can remember. And then the moral of the essay was something like "personal satisfaction is the greatest success of all." And I got to mention the fact that my bass is shiny and red, which is nice.

Oh, and Minimaul, I didn't have imaginary friends. I had REAL friends. And by that I mean TV.

*hugs the TV*
  16. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    is it just me or does english royally suck?
  17. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    It's just you. With the exception of research papers and a few pieces of the literature we had to read, my English classes have always been awesome.
  18. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    maybe, but mabye u have a nice teacher, mine is always crabby. although she is better than my old one, she was just plain dumb.
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not just you! i hate being forced to read literature, and i HATE doing projects. college is awesome for two reasons and two reasons only:

a) no more english classes

b) no stupid projects
  20. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    it sucks to be forced to read a really bad book that u have absolutely no interest in.