Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

English Premier League

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm a diehard Man Utd. fan, with a softspot for Liverpool and West Ham (they've got moxie!), but jeez, you gotta feel bad for Sunderland. These guys can't catch break! I don't see them sticking around. They'll be getting demoted for sure.

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    It would be hard to be a Sunderland fan. They do have bad luck, but don't play particularly class footy....

They're just making way for the juggernaut that is Reading FC!!...(I'll post a shot of my new Reading Bobby Convey jersey at some point). Reading hasn't lost since August and have been playing with great inspiration.

Finally, Fulham seems to think they can make a run to Europe. They hope to have solved their Def. problems with Wayne Bridge, but I don't see them making the top 6. Too many things have to go well. (I'll post a shot of my Fulham jersey at some point).

Newcastle seems to be completely self destructing. Souness will be lucky to keep his spot past March.

More footy posts!

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    $12million for Theo Walcott looks like a good deal to me.

4. Is it possible to be a 'die hard man utd fan' and have a soft spot for Liverpool?! The two are supposed to be arch rival...though I guess that's more of an 80s thing now, seeing as neither team is doing amazingly well this season.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    One of my closest mates lives in Liverpool, and we kinda equate the teams with our friends I guess, however we and many others share our hate for Chelsea. :bag: To echo your point, I've noticed that the venom betwixt us and the Liverpool fans hasn't been as bad as it used to be, or at least where I've been.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

I'll post my Man Utd. training shirt, coffee cups, 3 Rooney jerseys, and my Cantona jersey in the future. ;)

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Three words: Edwin van der Sar

or is it four?

Anyway... Man U.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m a die hard Liverpool fan!

Im actually pleased with how they are doing this season! Went 11 games without conceding a goal!

Big Big game tomorrow against ManUTD. We will win it though and take the 2nd place in the league :D

Me and my brother went to Anfield last year, it was like going to mecca!
    The trip made me an even greater Liverpool supporter!

Me in front of the Kop
    [​IMG]

Finally in Anfield!
    [​IMG]

Touching the famous This is Anfield sign!
    [​IMG]

Liverpool´s dressing room
    [​IMG]

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I'll see your raise, and raise again with: Celtic away jersey, Norway national Team jersey, Swedish National Team jersey, Irish National Team hat, DC United Home jersey, DC United training jersey, and my Son's Liverpool jersey (if he lets me) :ninja:

...and when I get my Blackburn Jersey, throw that in as well...

Man U? Put Howard in the goal and I'll support them (Frankly I like Van der Sar as first choice). Wayne Rooney might be the most exciting player in the EPL and always worth watching. But as a general rule, I don't support the big clubs. They don't need my help....

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    C'mon, you know you wanna be a Red Devil! :p BTW, it's hard for me to get into the MSL, although the Atlanta Silverbacks (don't know the league) play a block away from my house, and the games are exciting. As for Rooney, man I love the guy, but he drives me nuts at times! I know what you mean with your son. I got my son an authentic Beckham England jersey when we toured Europe, and now I'm not allowed to even look at it! He's 12, and he worships Beckham, but he tries to play like Ronaldo.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ivar, regardless of the team, it's VERY cool when you can get pictures like yours.......except for Chelsea, sorry, I really don't like them.

12. I've always been an Arsenal fan, also with a soft spot for Liverpool. That champions game way back with AC Milan is probably the best footballsoccer game I've ever seen.

But since I don't have Fox Soccer anymore or Gol TV, it's extremely hard to keep up with it, except the once in a blue moon when ESPN2 shows a Utd game, whom I don't really care too much for.

13. I haven't had a chance to check the scores yet today but did Everton hold on and beat Arsenal today? I missed the last 20 mins of the match. I'm a West Ham supporter. I also like the Spurs but don't hold it against me.

Jeff

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Everton won 1 - nil. The game just went off about an hour ago. Arsenal had their chances.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Holy cow! Bolton is kicking Manchester City's arses!!!!

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    How come you guys dont like Chelsea? They are a formidable team and play beautiful football.

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks!
    Agreed on the Chelsea part. No one likes them except young impressionable kids and one small part of London. :)

Just because of what they stand for.
    I hate the idea that the PL title can be bought.
    I hate that ever since Chelsea became Chel$ki they can outbid any team in the world and buy players for an outrageus amount of money.

Lets say that team A is considering a bid in a player, then Chel$ki comes along and also shows interest, then the players value suddenly shoots up and no team can afford buying him except Chel$ki.

Oh, and Arsenal paying 12 million pounds for Theo Walcott.. a 16 year old..?? (granted the fee is based upon number of things, played games etc. etc.)
    The boy better be good!

It´s true what Rafa Benitez said in an interview the other day.. English players are getting way too expensive!

18. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I don't support them, doesn't mean I don't watch them. I watch them every chance I get. The play is outstanding and they have players worth watching.

Like another poster, I dislike the notion of teams bidding outrageous amounts for players, then plopping their behinds on the bench because they already had a star at that position.

But, all big clubs do it. And unlike Major League Baseball and the Yankees, in European football there's more to win than just your league. The Yankee's outspending everyone then winning is just boring. (Granted, it's been a few years :D ) But Chelsea can outspend everyone in the EPL, take the league, but then have to play 6 other wealthy teams in the Champions League.

19. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Goal in the last minute against Liverpool and Chealsea drew.What a day!!!!Rio is really coming good now.

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not happy now!

Why on earth wasn´t anyone guarding Rio! :mad: