English Project... Help??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John K., Dec 5, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I'm doing a debate in my english class, and the topic I chose was music piracy. I just want to find out how much a typical artist might sell per CD. I remember reading somewhere about a "points standing" or something where the artist has a certain amount of points that decides how much money they get. Can anyone point out a website or some info that will help me find this out? I need some credible resources. Thanks.
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    what exactly are you after?

General sales of Cds, if so theres a site online somewhere, i studyed the change in vinyl/tape/cd sales over the years for a statistics course about 2 yars ago when at school.
    This page should help, (its not about the paragraph above) http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/2001/02/13/FFXKH4313JC.html
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would debate that there is such a thing as a "typical artist"?

Jazz, Classical, Country....?
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Never let it be said that Bruce likes to over complicate things for the sake of debate ;)

There's are numerous books on the music business telling you about the points system, the legalities and how it all generally works, etc.. who gets what and 'why'?

I'd suggest looking up a few books on a web book shop, getting the ISDN numbers then going to a library.

...but be warned books about the music industry and mind numbingly boring.
  5. Thanks guys.

By typical artists, I mean like someone on the Billboard charts or something. What would be the average someone might receive per CD?
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    go to the library, or a book store! :D

Each artists deal is agreed individually, between the artist and publisher. It also depends on what proportion of the record is original, own work, co-written, covered, produced by a label producer and all that kinda stuff. Everyone wants to be in on it.
    It also depends on what country the record will sell in. Generally, the artsist gets a cut of whole sale, not retail.
    There's SO many factors affecting how much the actual artist(s) gets...
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you want to know how much a typical artist gets from the profits, I can assure you it's nothing grand. The best contracts I've heard of have been something like 5% of the income, but usually it's around 1-2%. So your average band earns around 20-50 cents per cd - to get rich on record sales means millions of sold albums.

How much they loose money because of pirated music, now that's another case and can't be easily answered. It's said that certain amount of cds get sold on black market and certain amount of songs downloaded from internet. But then again, why pirate music sells so well is because of the price. When the price is low(or zilch) you are bound to get music that you would NEVER buy from your local store, and you have to remember that people usually spend only certain amount of cash in records, no matter if it buys them one cd or four.
  8. Do you know where you got that info from? That'd help a lot.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My stuff was picked up from internet and music magazines, I can't name one certain source.