English readers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pantografo64, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Bassist magazine stopped with april 2000 issue.
    Pity because it was the best one.

Someone told me some bass stuff could be found in sister publication Guitarist.

Is it true?
  2. yes.

and as for Bassist getting better over the years it was around, I disagree- they kept repeating stuff, and did articles on guitarists who played bass on their albums- that looked like they'd been in Guitarist anyway.
  3. Thanks for your answer, Mock.

I tell you why I liked the Bassist:

- it spoke down to earth also for the "week-end warrior" bassman.

- I loved Roger Newell's leading articles.

And it worsened less than Bass Player magazine during the years.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've picked up a few editions of "Guitarist", but mostly there has been very little bass stuff and it is overwhelmingly dominated by Rock Guitar. :(

I did like Bassist, but mostly because you knew that the gear featured was going to be available in the UK, whereas a lot of stuff in Bass Player never gets here at all. It was also useful for comparing prices. It was also the only place where you would get UK-based bassists featured - BP seems to concentrate almost exclusively on US-based players.
  5. "It was also the only place where you would get UK-based bassists featured - BP seems to concentrate almost exclusively on US-based players."
    hmmm....usually true, but Bassist never interviewed famous UK bassists Peter Hook or Alex James of Blur, and BP did....

one thing I really disliked about Bassist were the HUGE mistakes they sometimes made eg. photo of Rocco Prestia with a Fender Precision Deluxe, Bassist writes "he plays a Peavey bass".
    next month, an embarrassed Bassist prints a correction.
    also someone wrote in saying the maple neck on their Ernie Ball musicman stingray had "gone grubby" and asked for advice. bassist replied that "to my mind ernie ball have never had anything to do with musicman products, although they might distribute them in the US".
    -our survey said UH-URRRGGGHHH
    also the advice given was to sand down and relacquer the neck- but newer ernie ball musicman basses have oil-finished necks- the advice depended on which neck finish was originally used- it probably needed refinishing with oil.

another moan- some of the equipment lists in the technique/tabs section looked suspiciously like they'd been copied out of Bass Player.......

Roger Newell knows his stuff though- he's still with Guitarist.
    also, you get a cover CD with every Guitarist mag, so you get to hear the basses reviewed.

in the last issue of Guitarist was an article on Ozric Tentacles' Zia Geelani, and there's a picture (on page 110) entitled "flamboyant guitarist Ed Wynne is the only original Ozric"
    -only the pic shows someone who looks very much like (probably is) Charlie Jones of Page & Plant's band playing a Warwick BASS - what's going on there, eh Guitarist?