English report on bass (compare and contrast)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rangerz715, Dec 1, 2003.

1. For english class I have to write a compare and contrast report, so I chose bass and guitar.:bassist:My teacher said I should focus on writing why bass is better or else it would just be a list. So basically if anybody had any examples of great bass and songs/bands that would not be the same without bass I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry to disagree with your teacher, but I can't see why writing a report that compares and contrasts bass guitar and guitar would end up being just a list. I especially don't see why she would have you write about why the bass is "better" than guitar. I fear her assignment or interpretation belies the fact that she doesn't KNOW enough about the two to compare and contrast bass guitars with guitars.

Now my comments may put you in a bit of a pickle, because your teacher has said write it her way, so I guess you had better do as she orders. However, I find it would be a very difficult argument to sustain that bass guitar is actually a "better" or superior instrument to any other. It would be just as easy to find songs that were "better" without the bass as it would be to find songs that are better with bass. You could, I suppose, tell why the bass is better than guitar for you personally.

I have been an English teacher and I would have accepted your idea to compare and contrast these two instruments without further alterations.