Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Enlarging pickup routes in pickguard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 26, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The pickup routes on my pickguard are EXTREMELY tight. So tight that especially on the pup closest to the bridge, if the pickup is too low and I want to raise it, I have to take off the pickguard and push it up from the bottom.

What is a easy way to make these routes bigger without having to actually cut the pickguard?

2. One good way is to use a scraper of some sort. A box cutter blade has a good shape and is stiff enough to do the job. The pickguard material can be scraped like a planer would take off wood. It will come off in curly little chips if you hold the blade at an angle and drag it across the edge of the pickguard. This will only take off a very little bit of material and won't gouge or leave chatter marks. I would make some short strokes in the corners and then longer ones to connect the corners. Be careful not to bow the line of the edge of the opening.