Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Enormous Room

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 29, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Is it possible to play the enormous room on a standard 4 string bass if so how?

Maybe I should have put is it possible for meer mortals to play the enormous room but hey we can but try right?

Thanx in advance.

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi TaySte,

Thanks for your interest in "The Enormous Room." I play it on my Zon Hyperbass, which is a 4-string fretless with the capability to re-tune on the fly. I know a few people who have Hyperbasses like mine and at least one who has learned to play "The Enormous Room." I think it would be pretty tricky to play "E.R." on a bass that didn't have that kind of re-tuning ability, but I'll bet somebody could figure out a way!

3. The only snippet I've heard of "Enormous Room" is on a video clip from NAMM a year or so ago. "Thonk" is like hen's teeth - probably even rarer... Any plans to re-release this CD or put an MP3 on the Fanthing site? :D :cool:

By the way, I really like the samples you have available on the site. I've been trying to persuade Steve L to provide some "way out" bass sounds for what might be known as "sonic manipulation" but Steve and I refer to as "FSU". In particular I'm using the lovely features of Fruity Loops to twist things out of recognition. More bizarre noises would be very welcome... Both of you!

Keep on doing what you're doing. It's GREAT!
    Cheers,
    Mike