1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ENORMOUS ROOM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by benchpress11782, May 22, 2012.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    Any one know the effect Michael uses on this piece? Is it a light flange? Thank you

2. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Nov 26, 2010
    Ireland
    if anything id say a bit of chorus.

but mostly id say its just manring, which unfortunately does not come in pedal form

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I just watched a vid of "Enormous Room"

The description reads:
    That is one tricked-out bass he has.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Its called the Zon Hyperbass, if you aren't familiar with it. Its his signature model he had them build for him, and has a ridiculous tuning mechanism in the bridge along with D-Tuners on each string. Its also like $4,000 at the starting price, but I still really want one.

I also love the tone he gets in that video, especially the percussive string sound. The rest of it strikes me as a chorus.

5. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    The hyperbass is sick. That fretboard covers 36 frets and there are de-tuners on every string, both at the headstock and by the bridge, for those who are not yet familiar.

I'm a little fascinated by Manring's musicianship: he makes some incredibly beautiful, and often technically inventive, melodical pieces, but also some incredibly uninteresting slap stuff.

As for the video above I'll agree with the chorus assessment, though it is quite discreet. A chorus would be pretty subtle to begin with when playing harmonics (it's more pronounced with richer spectral content), and if there's something here, it's mixed in pretty modestly as well. In this case I believe a lot of his tone is due to his choice of strings, the bass and the playing style (I guess that sounds kinda obvious :p).

6. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    I think I will have to agree w you knettgummi. Thank you all for input. I just swear on some performances I can hear a hint of something. I wouldn't have guessed chorus though. Gotta be that friggin bass.
    I thought bass was like 10k?

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Chorus and Flanger are the same circuit. I can see how one might confuse the two, depending on the settings.

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Looked at the Zon site and the base price is actually $7.5k, so you're closer than I am. Still more than I can afford.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I saw Michael play two shows last year, plus a bonus set at the TB GTG in Boise. Even before adding any overt effects, his stereo rigs create some natural phase cancellations and additions that could relate to what you're hearing. But at the GTG he played through my simple mono rig with no effects at all -- and it still sounded mostly just like him. He very frequent on-the-fly tuning changes might be what you're hearing too though?

[​IMG]