enough oomph?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sime, Mar 12, 2005.

1. sime

Feb 27, 2005
    today i was about to order my new amp setup, ashdown mag, head, 1x15 and 2x10 cabs.....well when doing so, i noticed the 4x10 was only $40 more which got me thinking about going with that and the 15". with that came concerns of the amount of current required to drive four 10's and the 15"; and if the 300watt head will be capable......any ideas?
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    There are a lot of variables involved here. Are you in a loud rock band? Do your guitar players like to really crank it up? Does the drummer bash the heck out of his drums like a chimpanzee on crank? Does the keyboard player try to compete with the guitarists? Does the lead singer sound like Yoko Ono with a 220 volt cord shoved up her @ss? If so, you may need more wattage just to hear yourself, even with PA support and stage monitors. On the other hand, if you are backing up some folk singers and the drummer plays with brushes, 300 watts is plenty. :D
  3. sime

Feb 27, 2005
    3 piece punk band......not quite wall of sound, but close to it. i know i'll have enough volume, my concern is more just will the amp have a hard time with the driving 5 speakers, that's quite the load. would i be "better" off with the 2x10 cab?
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    More speakers = More Volume. 300Watts will sound louder through 5 speakers than it will through 3.

Dont worry about underpowering. If your head will handle the impedance of both cabs, then do it.
  5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This is true among speakers of the same size, but cone area makes the real difference. A 15 has rougly twice the cone area of a 10, so you have to consider the size of the speakers involved, not just the number.

VVV-- P.S. If you can fit it and have a friend to help you carry a 410, go with Munji's suggestion.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego