Enough put downs! What was the best compliment you ever got for your playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 7, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Today I played a benefit concert for my school. One of the tunes was a funky original in which I slapped through the whole piece and had a slap solo which was the most overtly appreciated solo I've ever played in front of an audience.

When we were leaving one woman said I sounded like THE BROTHERS JOHNSON!:D:D:D:D

The woman surely knows her music;)

That's my story. What's the best compliment you ever got about your playing?

Will C.:cool:
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Dude, you're a kick a$$ drummer. What are you doing in a country band?"
  3. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I'm with ya Acacia.

On tuba (last year, when my chops were up) from another brass player (who really needs to get out more): "You're the best tuba player I ever heard in my life." :cool:

On bass, from no one in particular: "You're a pretty good guitar player."

4. My favorite compliment is from the drunk guy in the club (there's always at least one), that says....

Duuuude, you rock!

5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Some people would call it sarcasm... ;)

I don't get compliments. I guess as long as people don't turn their heads away in disgust when I play, I'm doing a good job. I never really had a chance to show my blazing skills... (how's that for a sarcasm? ;))

Well, maybe once, during a improvised live jam over Creedence CR's "Born on the bayou", I got carried away and began doing a really, I mean REALLY, cheesy slap-solo... I had a glimpse at the crowd, and some guys looked at me admiringly, smiling swinging their heads with the beat... according to the looks on their faces, they really thought I was good. Oh boy, I had no technique, no groove, horrible slap-sound, and it didn't fit the song at all. But just slap the hell out of yer bass, and that's enough to impress... sad, no? :(
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Once, during a break between sets on a club gig, I overheard someone say, "That bass player is pretty good!"

It wasn't meant for my ears, so I know it was sincere.
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have met a lot of people who say I´m great, but most of them have only seen me slap (they always want me to slap when they see me with my bass because they think that if you can slap fast you´re the best bass player in the world)
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Keeping in mind that I am my own worst critic.....
    One day recently....I finished playing and said..."Now THAT...was halfway decent." Coming from myself...that was high praise indeed. :D
  9. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Yes I have had inebriated folks come up and say that I make the band or other local players say something nice about my playing or my sound.

But what makes the happiest is when folks on the dance floor pick up and put down their feet or shake it as an extension of my fingerwork. Make me feel great!

10. I think one of the biggest compliments I've had, and this has actually happened a couple times to me, is when the bass player in one of the other bands we're playing with asks me if I could give him some lessons.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I once had Kim Deal of the Pixies tell me she wished she could play the bass like I did. Not sure if she meant my hot licks or my drunken condition (ha ha).

One that I'm not sure was a compliment or a put down was a guy who said he really like my "white bread" take on a reggae tune.

Most recent compliment I got was last weekend, when some friends of mine who are on a major label wanted to know if I could go to Europe with them next spring instead of their regular bass player!!!!
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A couple of weeks ago, right before we took a break after our first set, someone had some sort of MP3 type player that had a microphone. He asked if he could record me playing some licks. So he set the device near my amp, and asked me to play some stuff. He said he just really dug it, and thought it sounded "really rad" or something like that.

I thought that that was kind of cool! :)
  13. Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    I had a friend, a vocalist, who was self-producing a few demo tracks. The guy she was working with had convinced her to do the music as a keyboard only, trip-hop kind of thing, which he was providing himself, and quite badly too. It didn't fit her vocal style at all. She came to see me play for the first time after the first session. I was in a Blues/Jazz band at the time. After the set, she walked up to me and said: "Man... that is exactly what I wanted my music to say, especially the rythymn section..." She then proceded to can the keyboard guy and redo the tracks with me and a drummer friend of mine. That was the singular greatest compliment I have ever recieved.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you probably ended up on some recording he put together from a bunch of samples. your playing is probably famous and you don't even know it. :D
  15. from friends: gee dude you don't stink half as bad as i expected
  16. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The one that has really stuck with me was when the bass player from another band heard us at a gig and came up to me and said "Man, i really felt your groove tonite."
  17. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    "He's a monster bass player."

-My older brother, who plays rhythm guitar and sings lead in a moderatly successful Austin Texas band, to his drummer the first time I met him.
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That would be kind of funny! Everyone's probably dancing to my bass lines at all the popular clubs! Wouldn't that be funny?! :)
  19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    "This is Nate... He plays bass and he is the most talented one in our band."

-One of my guitarists recently said this as he was introducing me to a girl at a party. Needless to say, I was pretty happy after that comment.
  20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The compliments that I remember all had to do with the fact that I am a woman bass player, so maybe they weren't compliments at all. But I had one enthusiastic fan call me his "rock and roll momma" after my Rage Against the Machine -style band debuted. That same night another guy who had been listening to our music on the radio, but had never seen us live, told me he never dreamed a woman could play such aggressive basslines.

Later, when I was in a blues band and my band was doing a soundcheck, the bass player of another band in that same concert date, said he didn't know a woman could play blues bass and expressed how surprised he was to hear the good bass on that song.

Lastly, someone with whom I had jammed in an informal pickup session once, introduced me to a friend and told him I could play a twelve bar blues for an hour and never lose my place. I guess that was a compliment...at least about stamina.

Jason Oldsted