Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Enquiry about bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nilmar, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    How can i get the Mark Hoppus's sound with a Squier Affinity P-Bass. What modifications must i applied onto the P-bass

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    isn't hoppus' bass pretty much a p-bass?

your amp would be a big contributor to the sound - you gotta fiddle around and see what you can do. remember, punk or not this guy is probably recording through some expensive gear - 10k-20k for just a single channel strip for some boards - so you're going to have a hard time matching the tone exactly, even if you are using the same or similar instrument.

3. he uses Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounders in his bass so puting those pickups in your P would get you a little closer, and generally improve your sound anyway because the squire basses come with crappy pickups.

other than that, like john turner said most of his sound is probably in his amps. most likely an ampeg SVT-CL through an ampeg 8X10. and all sorts of crazy expensive stuff for recording.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wait, do you have a bass or not? Your profile has the repeating line "One day I will own a bass...", and yesterday you made a thread saying you don't have and can't afford a bass so you play basslines on an acoustic guitar. But your posts back in March all say "I have a Squier Affinity P-bass," and now you're asking how to mod it. Which is it?