Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entering 7th Heaven

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Oct 5, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay... John Turner, you have shown me the way. I have SEEN the light. I'm gonna get a 7 string... eventually. (I need a few paychecks first.)

I'm obsessed with Conklin GT-7s. We have 3 in stock and all I want to do is play them all day, but I never get to touch. It's angering me. But since I have a credit card and can get one of these fine Korean beauties AT COST, I'm gonna do it so I can play it as much as possible.

I have my heart set on the natural GT-7. I may upgrade parts, I may not. From what I've seen and played, these are quality basses. Does anyone have one (or 2 or 3)? How long have you had it? Any problems? Some guy just brought in a BD7 with a few factory flaws, but we took care of him quickly thanks to Cort and Bill Conklin. Has anyone had to deal with problems on a GT-7 that meant having to talk to Bill?

Input is good. I appreciate it all.
    7... 7... 7 minute abs... Oh, wait :D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what probs were there with the BD? and have you tried them out? they have a much more extensive eq and piezos too.

as for the gt7, i haven't heard of any probs with them at all, except for ytsebri here on the site mentioned that he played a few that had dead spots on the neck. so i guess play the one you're going to buy first. duh, right? :D

3. I love my GT7 which I've had about 10 monthsI think. the only thing that was not perfect was the bookmatching. I played several before I bought mine and how it plays is more important to me than minor cosmetics. It still is a gorgous bass. I can play bar chords across all seven strings. Oh I did change the strings to a lighter guage and to XL's because D'adarrio makes a strings with down to .018 and smaller that I can order at my local music store.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    John, my local GC got in a Bill Dickens. I played it and liked it alot. Pretty sweet bass. The only gripe I have is that the piezo was a little to icy for my taste, but given time and tweaking, I could nail it down. BTW, the BD7 didn't have the problem I've found on the GT7's around here. But then again, I've only played the one, right?

5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I can't seem to find a GT7 in my area, my question is, are they good basses for slapping? I heard they were made more for fingerstyle...I need a bass that sounds good with ALL styles!

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The BD problems this guy had were on three different ones:
    The truss rod bolts were stripped (on 1), the bass boost didn't work (on 2), the action was terrible (on 2)... I think that was it. The newest one which I played yesterday had a malfunctioning bass bost and it was straight out of the box.

I didn't know that the BD had piezos... that changes my mind a bit. Maybe I should save up more dough.

The bookmatching is a good point. The wood in general, I guess. The fretted GT7 we have has decent looking wood, but some knots and stuff. The fretless looks great, though.

Slapping? This dude on the BD7 was doing wooten type stuff. I've slapped them and they have a great tone, thanks to the Barts. But popping is where I run into a bit of trouble. Playing "Higher Ground" would be tough. They seem great for really quality studio-type slapping, like Nathan East. Also, Bill Dickens plays slap on his. We play the video on the monitors at GC all the time.

Conflicts I'm having with this, though: I have no money and even at cost, I shouldn't just buy it on credit. Also, I need to upgrade my amp first. But I never play out, so who cares about an amp? But maybe I'd appreciate my present gear more through a better amp. AHHH! I want it all! I've got champagne tastes on a tapwater budget.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, I'm having a thought here, maybe y'all can give a brotha a hand...

I have this 91 stingray. As stingrays go, it's really nice. But the frets buzz a lot and low action is impossible. I've tried plenty of 'rays and they all buzz. For slap, they are great. But plucked... it's starting to tick me off. I'm starting to realize why a lot of people say they are a limited use instrument.
    I could get enough dough from this bass that it would pay for a GT-7. I'm just thinking of when I may want a stingray again. If I get one later, I'd be able to get it cheap, but who knows what condition it will be in. Mine's pristene.
    This may be my "one-year-itch" acting up again (got a warwick in 97, a fretless ray in 98, traded it for a fretted in 99 and now this). But my brain is telling me to sell.

Here, let me organize my thoughts... Is trading a nice, (fairly rare) American made bass for a relatively common korean made bass a truly stupid thing to do? Since I need an amp more, should I just sell the bass (and my old amp) to get a new amp and hold off on the 7? Or should I just keep it all and save money? (I know, only I can truly make the decision, but I want others' opinions and experiences).

BTW, anyone need a Stingray and a B2 combo? :)

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wouldn't sell, but that's just me. i have all my old 4 strings, and i haven't played them in 7 years. i would just wait until i had the money to get the bass - i mean, after all, you'll be getting paid there, right? :D

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just barely. I get my first paycheck Tues. But it's already spent as far as I'm concerned... bills, bills, bills. But I'll eventually have one. But man, does that BD-7 sound tempting. Piezos... neck thru... but much more dough,

OOH! and another thing.... the preamp in the GT-7. What would I have to do to get a midrange control? Replace the B and T controls with a Concentric pot and add a mid or just add a mid? We don't deal Bart gear, so it would cost a bit, but how much?

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you wanted to add a mid, i would just get another hole
    routed in the top for the knob. then you could just replace the preamp with a duncan 3 band preamp - excellent pre, got it on my doubleneck and one of my fretteds, and you guys carry them. should be cheap.

still though, check out the BD, already got that mid, plus a parametric freq selector for the mid too. that BD7 rocks, i would definitely get one if i could for cost, like you can.

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It would be nice, but I've seen a few with troubles. Plus, I'd have to special order one. I am not even allowed to get stuff at cost yet, so a spec. order at cost might be a bit lofty. But it does have a TON more features...

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've seen one with troubles too, i think the earlier ones they made were pretty shoddy, but i've also seen a bunch that were great. find a good one.

also, why do you need to special order it? they should have one at the store at least, no? that's pretty lame otherwise.

well, good luck, either way :D.

13. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    We don't have a usual stock of them and the only ones I've seen were purple :( I want a natural one.

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm selling my Stingray. It's been a long time debating, but I want a 7 and this MM is just a backup. It's time for a change (again) and if I want a Music Man again in the future, I'm sure I can find one. The GT-7 just makes more sense now.

The question is... What case fits that huge neck? How much would a Conklin case be?

(BTW, bass is on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=466265333 )

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you mean, they don't come with cases? call bill for one, if you want.

417 886 3525

he should be able to get you one fairly cheap, or get a gig bag, that's what i use mostly with my basses.

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I can get the Groove Tools gig bag, but it seems kinda... well... :eek: I don't know if any hardcases we have would fit it as the neck is like a landing strip. I was just going to get a Warwick Rock bag because they are cheap, but padded well and feature packed. But I've seen all of those custom basses with those foam "cases" that mold 100% to the bass and was thinking that would be good to have. And what is fairly cheap to Bill Conklin?

17. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    the gt7s are BAD ASS, i wanted one, but i found an ibanez 6 string soundgear, in perfect condition for 500, and im not passing that up.. but that will be after i buy the bxr300 =oD

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know off hand, man, you need to call him. tell him i sent ya, (couldn't hurt :D )

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'll call him when I am actually going to buy the bass. Plus, it's the weekend, so I'll let Bill relax a while.