Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entering world w/o frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osoblu, Mar 30, 2003.

1. osoblu

osoblu

Feb 22, 2002
    North Shore, MA
    I've been itching to buy a fretless bass all winter. The same goes for an acoustic bass. I can't afford both so I'm researching fretless acoustics around $500. The Dean Rhapsody is a semi-hollow body but I have not read anything about how it plays acousticly. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? :confused: Thanks

2. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Why don't you go to your local music store and play one. Then you will know if it plays well acoustically.

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

For what are you going to use the acoustic?

I know a bunch of guys that bought an acoustic bass and have it sitting around.

If you have a use for it, great.

4. osoblu

osoblu

Feb 22, 2002
    North Shore, MA
    My gear is in a music room I set up in my basement. I keep an ovation acoustic guitar as well as a bunch of harmonicas in the main part of the house that I often play when I need a quick fix. I'd have easy access to the fretless acoustic bass and there's no doubt in my mind that I'd use it --ALOT. So much that I'll probably end up selling the ovation.
    I think Tucker is right and I'll have to go to the guitar store but, from the research I've done, there aren't many fretless acoustics to choose from. I just wish I knew more. :bawl: Are they that uncommon?:confused:

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have a Gretsch Fretless acoustic and it rocks!
    I mainly use it around the house for fun. Not much need for it on gigs.

You should go out and play as many as you can. Each of the different types/makes sound unique.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I just remembered. Last time I visited Bass Central, in Orlando, they had too brands of acoustic, fretless basses. Actually they were acoustic/ electric. One was Godin (spelling may be off) and I can't remember the other one. I really liked one of them when it was plugged in, and thought about it for the future. I don't remember which one I liked more. They were both semihollow bodies.

I'd give them a call. They can be very helpful.