Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ENTERPRISES SHIELDS

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 22, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Did any one notice in star trek wrath of khan and star trek undiscoverd country that when the enterprises sheilds where raised that this had no effect to stoping enemy fire look at the torpedo hits the enterprise took from chang in ST VI. In The next generation the shields actually stop phaser fire. Yes i am a fan

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...ooohhhkaaay.

3. ALL I KNOW is that SUPPOSEDLY if the Enterprise and a Imperial Star Destroyer got into a fight the Enterprise would win.

Because APPARENTLY the Enterprise's shields are immune to lasers, even the turbolasers, and the Enterprise could just teleport a photon torpedo onboard the bridge of the Star Destroyer, which I find highly unlikely.

Firstly, the Star Destroyer has 2 types of shields, one of which blocks all physical contact, and another that protects against particles (i.e. lasers etc.) Because the Enterprise's teleporters operate (If I remember correctly) on the principle of breaking down matter to energy and then reassembling it, the particle shields of the Star Destroyer would prevent the torpedo from passing through.

Furthermore, the Star Destroyer is equipped with multiple ion cannons which would reek havoc on the Enterprise's systems thus leaving them open to demolition at the hands of the Star Destroyer's turbolasers

And if that doesn't work the Star Destroyer should just board the Enterprise! A full division of Stormtroopers against, what? A bunch of scientists, engineers, children, and maybe 60 security officiers??? They don't stand a chance!! I also have reason to believe that the Stormtroopers are protected from the Starfleet phaser by their armor...I'm not sure, but it might be a moot point.

Hail the Emperor!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I concur.

Peace
    Nick

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    GO STAR WARS!!!

I'm not much of a trekkie(or trekker at that) but I am a star wars nut....I think that at anyrate the millenium falcon(in its prime) could run from either :D

6. I think that by the time that torpedo had been shot at the Enterprise, the shields had failed due to heavy fire, so that is why the torpedo was able to hit the body of the Enterprise.

Live Long and Perspire!

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    True, but they never win the fight until the shields go down to 20%. (47% in Voyager) :D

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what i want to know is why was that dumba$$ lame-o stupid wanker b@@@@ who was the captain of voyager promoted to admiral over picard? she was a total idiot.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    - She's better looking.

- They caught him out on the English French accent.

- Because, if they continue to copy old Trek movies, he would have been busted back to captain anyway trying to save, errrr... the guy who died.

- Because 7/9 turned down the guest-starring role (apparently that IS the reason...)

10. Have you checked your local Public Access channel?

RI Public Access (when they're not showing Pro Wrestling matches in High School gymnasiums) has a show with 3 guys sitting on a couch (with lots of soda, Pringles and popcorn, it should be noted) and basically talk about classic Star Trek episodes and I'm sure they do the same for movies.

OR you could try looking online, I'm sure you're not the only one who's noticed it.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Bad judgement.

12. Its sexism

But she doesnt have this:
    http://picard.ytmnd.com/

13. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    No

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jeezuz. zombie thread must die!

15. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Next Gen ordnance upgrade would be my guess. to paraphrase? Kirk went to space with the sheilds he had, not the sheilds he wanted. You is one S-Stirrer you is! heh!

16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oy! Don't get me started on technical oversites in Star Trek (even their published tech manuals often disagree/contradict........yes, I was a big Trek fan as a kid :p).

One problem with The Enterprise vs. all these other space ships (Death Star, Galactica, Star Destroyer, etc., etc., etc.) is:
    Regardless of who's armorments may or may not be superior, all these other ships, if even able to attain light speed, only attain light speed (i.e. 1x). I don't remember the exact numbers, but The Enterprise goes from Warp 1 (light speed achieved) to warp 9.9 (forget the original series flubs where they're suposedly going warp 12, etc. suposedly a physical impossibility). At warp 9.9 you're going several hundred times the speed of light.

Can't hit what you can't see/catch. :smug:

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm rooting for the klingon's to beat Orlando in the seventh game.

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    can't mention Klingons without mentioning Uranus, they just seem to be inseperable. 'ya know ? :ninja::D

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is especially true in the presence of orbiting dingle berries.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you trying to double down on my joke Holmes ? Have another rip and think up your own, LOL :mad::D