Entertainers' Backstage Riders - The Smoking Gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 19, 2004.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Has anyone ever read the backstage riders' over at the smoking gun?

Some of them are funny either intentionally or unintentionally. The Foo Fighter's rider is funny just because Dave Grohl and company have a sense of humor. Carrot Top's rider says "Please no carrot cake - it's still not funny."

I'm not a big fan of The String Cheese Incident but it's pretty cool that they look out for their fans in their rider - they demand that the fans be allowed to bring in empty containers such as nalgene bottles and that the venue provide plenty of free water stations.

Ya gotta love Don Rickles' rider...no BS...just gimme some food, coffee and scotch!

Celine Dion recommends a childrens choir.

Kenny G demans "all natural salt and pepper." I've personally never even heard of synthetic salt and pepper.

Apparently Barry Manilow's fan club shows up at 11:00am to decorate his dressing room.

Prince requires that "All items in this dressing room must be covered in clear plastic wrap until uncovered by main artist."

Anyway...if you're unemployed with lots of free time like me then some of these are pretty interesting. I just read the parts that were marked as interesting or unusual by the red arrows.

brad cook
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've read most of them, the Rolling Stones have a real long list with toys and video games for their kids, and the Bloodhound Gang's is probably the weirdest (something about voodoo monkeys, IIRC)

EDIT: Also, the money spent to rent a Playstation for Snoop Dogg's dressing room is called "some of the most important money you will spend" its reiterated a couple times...the man sure does love his video games.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've heard that Van Halen always had a rider that required there be candy dishes full of M&M's - but there was to be no brown M&M's. Somebody had to go through and remove all of the browns.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They did that just to see if someone was stupid enough to do it. The Foo Fighters asked for a monkey skeleton for the same reason. Our rider is relatively tame, but I do require Tsunami flavored Sobe. Seriously. They comply about 90% of the time.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    find randy brecker's - he's really out there!

i think it's on randriod or something like that, i don't think i can post it here!

6. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's on allaboutjazz.com, too. Funny ****.
  7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    What happens when they don't comply? Just curious, we do some shows where they will ask us what should be provided and it freaks us out so bad we just like, uh... we're OK we don't need anything. :eek:
    I wonder what would happen if we sent a rider with our contract to one of the bars we play. :D
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Lots of times things like these are in the rider so that management can take one quick look and instantly know whether the rider was even read. If there's brown M&M's in the dish, then they know to pull out the list of the important things to check whether somethings been overlooked.
  9. I heard the same story, that the whole genesis of it came from specifying that a floor be able to support x amount of weight. No one bothered to check and there was a big melt down. Whether that's just David Lee Roth's justification, or they were just having a blast being rockstars because they could. :D
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Been there, done that, got the tshirt. Some pretty funny stuff in some of those riders.
  11. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I had read somewhere that the infamous "no brown M&M's" rider came after some accident that, apparently, would have been averted if the contract had been thoroughly read. So, if Eddie's backstage and sees brown M&M's, well, then, what else isn't right?

Can anyone confirm this?
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I can't say as to VH specifically, but I've heard from several other road managers that it is a commonly used tool. Some artists require a Homer Simpson doll in the dressing room, others require a WWF action figure, etc. etc. Sky's the limit with the creativity on that one!