1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Entertainment lawyer - how much $$$?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Saxn, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Ok, just the facts...

I have an offer from a local producer that will be put into writing within the next week. This is a first for me, and I know that the next step is having an experienced entertainment lawyer check out the contract prior to signing.

I am not a rich guy by any stretch (self-employed one man operation) and I was wondering if it's going to break the bank to go through this process, or if the cost is reasonable for someone of modest means. Can anyone tell me what the estimated "damages" are in having a contract reviewed?

2. you're in luck...i, the great lawyer-man, have come to your rescue....sort of. Remember, I am NOT giving you legal advice here, the only actual ADVICE i am giving you, is that you need to have the contract looked over, by a lawyer who is licensed and competent in the state that this contract will be executed in

here's the problem as i see it...you are in Nashville, Georgia...NOT Nashville, Tennessee. that brings up a problem right there

one is that you may not have any so-called entertainment lawyers near you...you may have to go to Atlanta to find one

what is the contract for anyway. you may not need an entertainment lawyer, per-se. maybe a local contract lawyer would do you fine at this point?

anyway, do you have a friend or acquaintance who is a lawyer. maybe they could could turn you on to a good lawyer or at least tell you what you are looking at?

obviously, i am not going to tell you that you don't need a lawyer...i have never told anyone that in my life....and don't think you can use the guy who drew up the contract. i doubt if he would advise you anyway, but you need independent legal advice from someone licensed in the state in question (i presume it is Georgia, right?)

good luck, and remember...trying to save a few bucks on the front end by doing without can lead to much misery later when thing don't work out and you wish you had seen a lawyer initially

davesignatureII-1.

3. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Thanks, Dave!

The contract will cover - as I understand it - session saxophone work with a studio located in the BIG music town of Valdosta, GA. There will be live performances as well, but I do not think they are covered under said agreement... those will be handled separately.

I was afraid that Atlanta might be the closest place in state... possibly Savannah. Either way, I assume that cost of contract review (even in a small venue like this one) would be less than the cost that I could be screwed out of by flippantly signing a contract for session work!

4. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Session work is "work for hire" meaning you retain no royalties/rights etc. The idea that this type of work in which you sign off everything anyways needs to be seen by a lawyer just seems redundant.

Of course I am an idiot.

5. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Hmmm, maybe I misunderstood the guy, then. As I said, I am a total n00b when it comes to these things. Maybe I got it backwards and the guy was talking about the contract for the gigs rather than the session work.

I am an idiot, too, it would seem...

6. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    At the moment, not sure there’s much reason to debate what your contract might say when, hopefully, you will know what it does say, soon enough. Feel free to post it here.

That said, I’ve made that offer before and, for reasons I’m not entirely sure of, it’s very often ignored. Granted, I can’t guarantee how fast or how thorough I will respond, but I’m not sure what there is too lose by doing so. If you want to take out the dollar amounts, then feel free to do so.

Best,
    MA

7. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Man, that is about the most awesome offer I have ever even heard of! Thanks!!

As I said before, I am looking at around a week (I told the producer that I was to be out of town from this Saturday to the next) before he 'draws up the paperwork'. I would be happy to post a (somewhat redacted) copy of whatever it is that I get.

Thanks again, sir... you made my day!

8. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Music Attorney, tried to PM you this stuff but it wouldn't allow me to do so. Here's the developments in a nutshell.

I really do appreciate the offer to review the contract that is (supposedly) in the works before I sign - or don't. I haven't forgotten, but the whole thing has been a series of delays since my audition. Trip out of town - delayed one week. Death in the family - delayed one week. Contact the guy after funeral, etc is completed and he's out of town with his kids on spring break - delayed one week.

If everything holds I should be in contact with the guy this Monday... hopefully I will have something to post then.

Thanks again for the generous offer, and hopefully I can post something - one of these days. Just didn't want you to think I'd flaked out on you!

Greg V.

9. Every time I see a lawyer for anything, BAM, 300 bucks. Hope it's cheaper for you, and good luck with the gig!

10. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    LOL Thanks rocksmoot... if that's the ballpark I suppose it could be a lot worse. Hopefully I'll get that back - if this thing ever decides to take flight.

Thanks for chiming in, sir.

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    The Nashville AFM Local 257 deals with session work on a daily basis. For national agreements the playing field is level throughout the US when recording for labels that are signatory. Do you know if the label is in fact signatory to the AFM Sound Recording Labor Agreement, referred to as the SRLA? This agreement covers new uses as well and should this recording be used in another medium you would get the payment and benefits covered under that agreement.

Wally

12. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    I appreciate your contributions, sir... but I'm afraid that's the wrong Nashville :atoz:

ALTHOUGH I did have a guy tell me that once I had a track or two recorded to send to him... apparently he knows "a guy in Nashville" but you know that that stuff is. :rolleyes:

But thanks for the info should that one in a million shot ever pan out ;)