Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entry Level Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rmerritt, Apr 17, 2002.

1. rmerritt

rmerritt

Apr 10, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Iwant to buy a bass for my 14 year-old son to learn on. I am considering a MIM Standard Jazz V. It's 2 years old and in good condition. Is this a good choice and what would be a fair price? I'm also looking at a Peavey Minx-110 combo amp. I want a very mellow tone...no effects necessary, and don't want to hear a lot of noise form the fret board....just the bass tones. (I played a Bassman 60 and it sounded great) Am I dreaming?...help!

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I think the MIM Jazz is a great start. Hopefully his reach will be sufficient for the extra girth of a 5 string neck. If not, I'm sure he can grow into it with some practice.

I can't comment on the tone of the combo, never heard one. Peavey's small bass combos should be sufficient though. You can always have him back off the high end eq a bit to help mellow the tone.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The small Peavey combos are the best bang for the buck, IMHO.

But if you are considering a 5 string, they won't reproduce the lowest notes that well.

The only inexpensive combo that I have found will is the Fender Bassman 25, but it is around $269.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    IMVHO, for a decent tone in a small budget, I'd rather pay a bit less for the bass and a bit more for the amp.

Cort do excellent entry level basses such as the New Action series. And for the difference of price, you can reach a better amp (Bassman 25, Trace Elliot Commando, Ampeg BA-110, etc.).

All the best,

5. IMVHO, I'd get him a beat up old Squier with nasty action, and a cheap used Peavy combo practice amp. Make him work for it, but get him what he needs as he progresses. I say that only because that's what worked for me and my parents were extremely supportive, but as was needed. Now, they would buy me whatever was needed, if I wasn't married and able to do this on my own. They succeeded. Besides, I learned where tone really is...in the hands.

It was a lesson learned without my parents being "nasty, old, and out of touch."

But this is your son, so the decision is yours. I'm sure your he will be appreciative and happy with whatever decision you make.

I look forward to this topic in my future (that will probably come faster than I expect). ;) :)

Good luck! :)

6. rmerritt

rmerritt

Apr 10, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all the great advice! I think I've decided to shop for a decent used 4-string....and then use it to try out a variety of amps until I find just the right one. I'll probaly need more help later!

7. I have the TE Commando and it's seems pretty good apart from I find it buzzes quite loudly when I'm not playing. I've never owned another amp though, so I don't know if it's normal for it to do this.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    MIM P or J + Peavey Minx 110.
    He'll never outgrow either of the two. :)

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    MIM standards a great start up bass. IMO they one of if not the best you can get in that price range. I myself think that $250 is a fair price for a used one in good condition.

No your not dreaming, the bassmans are good sounding amps.