1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

entry level head/cab for mk dragonfly and electric later?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kleptic, Dec 1, 2006.

1. kleptic

kleptic

Nov 30, 2006
    I'm looking for a head and cabinet that would work well with my mk dragonfly 5 string and also work well when I get an electric bass.

I'm just starting out so I don't need anything crazy. My budget is probably best kept at 600-800 total for the head and cab.

let me know what brands/models you think would be good.

thanks
    Kyle

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    For what you say you need I always recommend the Yorkville Sound XM 200 Combo. You van add an extension speaker to it later if you need more depth and projection, but on its own, it puts out a lot of sound. I used one hard for a year and it worked without a hitch even though I played some gigs where I pushed it to its limit. They're as reliable as Peavey, sound better and are great value for the money with the best warranty in the business (2 years even if you break it)

I don't work for Yorkville Sound or have an endorsement deal with them, but I think they're the best bargain in bass and PA gear. And they're still made in North America, in fact, in Canada. They keep improving every new model and their latest line is able to be used at a pro level.

They also have a 400 watt head that sounds like a monster live but you won't get that one and a speaker cabinet at the budget you have now. But, you should be able to get the XM200C for about $500 US. For your budget and buying new, that's the way i'd go.

If you buy used, go with the trusted made in America products with a proven record of reliability. Peavey amps never seem to die and some of the early ones are still pumping out good solid bass over 20 years later. GK, particularly the 800 RB and 400 RB can be found used at really good prices and are also real workhorse amps that sound good. I used a 400 RB with a pair of Yorkville Sound cabinets for over 10 years of hard live playing and loved the sound. It never let me down.

3. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I'll 2nd the xm200. Killer for the money spent. I saw some of these going for a lowball price somewhere. Do a search, you may be surprised at what you can buy one for. The only thing is the 115 is something like 65 lbs.