Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Entwhistle Right Hand"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 26, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've watched 2 Who videos (Maximum R & B, and The Kids are Alright!) now a couple of times each, my question is:

Does anyone here know for certain if John Entwhistle used a two or a three finger technique on his right hand?

Which one is it then?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yes

3. in his Bass Masterclass video he said he used mainly two fingers, sometimes three (I assume three fingers were reserved for the machine-gun triplet fills, and his "typewriter" percussive sideways tapping of the strings)
    he also said he occasionally used his pinky "for a bit of flash"- he demonstrated popping using it.
    also he used his thumb to play octaves and to pop (not slap- he hated that;) ) the lower strings.

4. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    The Ox used to use three fingers quite often but it should be noted that he also used to use a plectrum.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    there is a brief description of his 3-finger plucking and its origins in trumpet/french horn playing in "Rising Low"--he's hillarious in there--especially trying to translate his cockney! Also says he liked to have his feet vibrate when he plays!