1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Entwhistle Right Hand"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 26, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've watched 2 Who videos (Maximum R & B, and The Kids are Alright!) now a couple of times each, my question is:

Does anyone here know for certain if John Entwhistle used a two or a three finger technique on his right hand?

Which one is it then?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yes

3. in his Bass Masterclass video he said he used mainly two fingers, sometimes three (I assume three fingers were reserved for the machine-gun triplet fills, and his "typewriter" percussive sideways tapping of the strings)
    he also said he occasionally used his pinky "for a bit of flash"- he demonstrated popping using it.
    also he used his thumb to play octaves and to pop (not slap- he hated that;) ) the lower strings.

4. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    The Ox used to use three fingers quite often but it should be noted that he also used to use a plectrum.

5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    there is a brief description of his 3-finger plucking and its origins in trumpet/french horn playing in "Rising Low"--he's hillarious in there--especially trying to translate his cockney! Also says he liked to have his feet vibrate when he plays!