1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Entwistle and Tommy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Oct 22, 2010.

1. My college is putting on Tommy next month and the band will actually be on stage. We are going to be dressed like The Who and the directors told us to be "period correct" with our instruments, playing, and clothing.

I'm sure nobody will notice, but I'd like to be period correct with the instrument I play too (I can't do it with my amp since I use a class D amp haha). I was thinking of using either my Danelectro Longhorn or a Fender Jazz. Which one would be more common to find around Mr. Entwistle's neck during this time period?

2. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
  3. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Well, neither, but if you have to choose between those two it would be a Jazz. He used Fender Precisions at that time (on studio recording and "Tommy" tours 1969-70).

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    This would be the bass to use for Tommy.

jae-frankensteinpbass1_th.

5. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Don't forget to make it ear-splittingly loud, too.

6. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    120dB minimum.....

7. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    P bass and skeleton suit and Hiwatt

8. Yes. Hiwatt turned up all the way, too.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Jazz. Or go out and get a MIM or Hwy 1 P bass. Both are nice and you could find a use for them after the show.

10. i'm pretty sure he actually used a rickenbacker 4005 for most of Tommy, at least on the album. but since getting one of those is pretty much out of the question, i'd say the jazz will do just fine.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Really? Are you going by the video of them lip synching "Tommy Can You Hear Me?" that's in The Kids Are Alright? That was really deep in his P Bass through Hiwatt period- and that's certainly what he used for the live performances of Tommy.

For the OP, I think you can use a jazz bass, but turn off that bridge pickup, and you really should try to borrow a tube amp if you are at all concerned with authenticity. A lot of Tommy is driven by acoustic guitar and the bass overdrive becomes really vital.

12. Yes.

And you need to crank it to. For authenticity.

13. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    You're wrong. The 4005 was used on "The Seeker" and on some promovideos. He also had a lightshow model which he used in the seventies on some lip-sync stuff.

14. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Or Hiwatts, one clean and one distorted if going for the live sound. His sound on studio recording is quite clean actually, just a miked-up amp I think. Same with "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia".

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Get yerself a P bass and a Leeds pedal and away you go. Practice standing immobile for hours as well, you want to look the part.

16. I agree with one drop, his stage presence (well.... more like his stage demeanor) is very unique and I find it hard to imitate (I usually jump around and stuff), you could probably get away with not having the most period accurate bass and amp (let's face it, unless you already have a fender P and a tube amp, or were already planning on getting one, getting one of each just for this would be a little pricey) your best bet would be to imitate his stage presence. the Fender Jazz looks more like the fender P, close enough for most not to notice it unless they were looking right at you and know %100 about the ox. That's be a small minority.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Exactly, I can't say enuff about how well the Leeds pedal nails his tone of that period, And a P-Bass.
    Here's my Leeds on my rig.
    woodstock003.

18. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

take your pick...

19. Jealous..... i want to play that show

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    entwistle was always hopping mad about that, too. he wanted his live sound on the recordings and the producer overruled him.

but as i'm discovering now that a lot of old solo bass recordings are now available, even when it sounds clean in a mix there's often some distortion going on. jamerson's motown tracks are a perfect example. i wouldn't be surprised at all that entwistle's recorded tones on those albums were quite dirty.