Entwistle tone on Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass555, Mar 18, 2005.

1. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    To my ears, probably the best the bass sounded in the Who

(with the exception of the unbelievable tone on "It's Hard" - yes, I'm serious)

Any ideas or theories on how he got it? Or is it just the mix?
  2. It's a '64 Gibson Thunderbird, I think he was using Sunn amplification at the time but I could be wrong...
    What version of Q are you listening to? The original version has a loud bass presence and low vocals, something which the remaster rectified to an extent...

Yeh, I find myself squirming through It's Hard just for that glorious distorted Alembic! :bassist:
  3. As an afterthought, John always said that the Q sessions were the first time he really let rip in the studio as far as the basslines go.
    He also said that the bassline on The Real Me was done in one take, he never thought Pete would let it stay on. But he may have been pulling our collective leg on that one :)
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This really belongs in "recordings" I think. If you like the tone on "It's Hard" you need to get "Face Dances" if you don't already have it.
  5. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I read that Entwistle remixed the album in 1979. Maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know any details though.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Quadrophenia that was released in 1979 was a different record, it was a "soundtrack" to the movie. Entwistle re-recorded many of the basslines, all the songs on it were were remixed. It was like a "best of" Quadrophenia, with just two record album sides of songs from the original album. It also contains other tracks by contermporary Mod-loved bands, and a few new Quadrophenia themed songs featuring an uncredited Kenny Jones on drums which were curiously not featured in the movie. Some of the best songs from the original album ("The Rock", "Cut My Hair", "Sea And Sand", "Drowned") are conspicuously missing. It's an interesting release, and a few of the songs sound better (particularly "I'm One" which doesn't have the ultra-reverb that's annoying as hell on the original), but the original album is much better as a whole.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have Quadrophenia on vinyl and later bought the CD. The CD is different. It's re-mixed and "tweaked" to my dismay. I wish the powers that be would tell us of such things before I spend the better part of $30.00.

The vinyl is a better play...to my ears.
  8. Face Dances has great tone (did you steal my money?)
  9. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the info, I was pretty curious. All I have is the original pressing of the album that I swiped from my parents, I've not heard anything else. I read about the remixing in a biography about the Who, but it didn't mention Entwistle re-recording bass parts too. I'd like to hear them, just out of curiosity.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Take care of that record, but try and borrow the CD from someone just to compare.

I wish these guys would just move on and quit trying to reinvent the wheel as far as classic recordings go.
  11. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, the best sounding version of Quad is the vinyl issue.