1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Entwistle with a P?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    On which records can i hear Ox with a P like on the Isle of wight and live at leeds album? Studio or live is both good.

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The Ox used a P exclusively on "Tommy" and "Who's Next", which were the albums that bookended the two shows that you refer to. You can also check out his solo album "Smash Your Head Against the Wall". He moved on to Thunderbirds/Fenderbirds right after that period.

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Here's a quote from an interview he did. "Frankenstein" is the maple fretboard P he put together:

“I used Frankenstein through Hiwatts for the whole of ‘Tommy’, ‘Live At Leeds’ and ‘Who’s Next’ but by ‘Quadrophenia’ and Who By Numbers I was playing Gibson Thunderbirds. I felt I was getting stuck in a rut, using all the treble.

I got that quote from this website, which thankfully has just been restored after a database crash. An excellent archive for all things Who:

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-67-71.html

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for the Info KPJ!

5. how about 'my generation?' i'd think that album would have been recorded with mostly a P. ???

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The song "My Generation" was recorded with a Jazz Bass stung with LaBella flatwounds. He was using many different basses at the time (1965). Danelectro Longhorns, Epiphone Rivolis, Rickenbacker 4001s (Chris Squir bought a Ric because he saw John with one) among them. The Longhorns were actually his main bass, until he couldn't get strings for them any longer! "Substitute" was recorded with a Gibson EB2. John didn't start using P-basses a lot until 1966.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/bass/equip-entwistlegear-60-66.html#s1964

7. John always said it's his P on Who's Next but I'm sure he was on the Tbird by then... ON the Classic Albums DVD ther's a chance to hear the isolated bass track of Going Mobile, and it ain't a P.