Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entwistle's 8 string Alembic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_D, Oct 26, 2005.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Is this for real? Followed a link mentioning Johns 8 string Alembic and saw this.
    I know he had big hands but that fretboard doesnt look big enough for 8 strings.
    I can see the pegs at the top so has anyone seen this bass or is it photoshopped? :eyebrow:
    Stunning collection either way but I always thought he just used the 4! :crying:

[​IMG]

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

His 8-string Alembic was just a 4-string doubled in octaves. (EeAaDdGg)

[​IMG]

3. I may be completely misunderstanding the question here, but have you considered that the strings are probably 4 octave pairs of 2 each (like a 12-string guitar)? Many 8-stringers are built that way, and that was the standard until people started developing extended-range basses.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Like a 4 string bass but in octaves. Here's another Alembic
    8 string, this one's Greg Lake.

Slug

5. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Oops silly me.
    Had a few brooskies and never thought of that! :bag:

6. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us (especially the Ox ;) )

7. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    lmao
    I have some GAS now anyway seeing that room!

8. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    you need to check out the book BASS CULTURE. BY JOHN ENTWISTLE. it is a coffee table book that came out about a year ago that has picture and descriptions of all the basses and guitars he had around the time he passed away. it will make the strongest man cry. i cried the first time, 7th time 89th time and 900th time i looked throught the book. the one good thing is he had NO dan armstrong basses.......whooooooohooooo. i win......no not really. :hyper: :D

9. Good gravy, I teared up right now just thinking about it... :crying:

10. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland

Thanks for the nod. Book came the other day! Now I really have G.A.S.!!!!!!!!!