1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Entwistle's distortion/sustain pedal late 60's early 70s

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by godofthunder59, Mar 6, 2016.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Does anyone know what Entwistle was using as a distortion/sustain pedal around 1969-1970? My guess is Dallas Arbiter.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

No pedals, what you hear is three cranked British made Dave Reeves era Hiwatt tube amps, sometimes with two 4x15" and two 4x12" Fane loaded Hiwatt cabs, sometimes four 4x12"(some left over Sound City gear may have been in the mix); by 1971 he moved to American Sunn Coliseum solid state rigs, with an ever evolving wall of 4x12", 1x18", 2x15", and 3x12" Sunn cabs...

John Entwistle Gear: 1968-1971 | John Entwistle Bass Gear | Whotabs
    John Entwistle Gear: 1971-1974 | John Entwistle Bass Gear | Whotabs

ddnidd1 and willbassyeah like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Entwistle was never much of a pedal guy, and his sound was the result of blending amps.

4. It doesn't seem like Entwistle used pedals. Now, a better question for here might be "what pedal(s) to use to recreate Entwistle's tone from that era?". With respect to that, @johnk_10 has said that the Catalinbread WIIO is a pretty great emulation of a driven Hiwatt amp, and since John is the resident overdrive wizard and genius, I'd give his recommendation a lot of weight. :)

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It was only toward the end of his life, during the Ashdown amp period, that Entwistle had any effects, the annoying 'always on' chorus/doubler thing, maybe a high frequency enhancer, but I'm sure it was all rack stuff.