Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entwistle's Fenderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubEndSorcerer, Dec 15, 2004.

1. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    I think he got the best tones ever with his Thunderbird and Fenderbird axes. I'm listening to Quadrophenia and I'm totally blown away. I absolutley love this tone, especially on "The Real Me" and "5:15". How did he get that treble punch that cuts through like a mofo with a mahogany bodied Thunderbird? What strings did he use? Did he play with a pick around this time. I want so much to be able get that treble punch, floaty "oooh" sound with my P-Bass, but all I get is "clank, clank".

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    are you using flatwounds? i always like flats better on p basses than on anything else. they suit the basses mood you know...

3. Flatwound strings on a P, DEFINITELY! And get yourself a decent compressor/limiter and a good mid-sweepable parametric EQ will get you that "oooooh" your talking about.

If you're a picker, try a felt pick...otherwise

4. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    so entwistle used flatwounds around the Quadrophenia period?

5. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    I was in a quest for this tone recently, and tried a Hiwatt 100 patch on my POD XL Live.

Bingo.

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    It's a LOT more than that, peeps. My friend is a Who NUTBALL. On top of that, he's a bassist who practically worships Entwistle. He even tabbed out the whole 5:15 bass solo that some of you have seen.

He created a patch in the Digitech BP200 that gets as close as you're going to come to getting Ent's tone. It comes from effects and distortion, boys. A whole HECK of a lot of distortion.

-Eric.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  8. Not only did he use them, he was in cahoots with Rotosound to develop theirs.

9. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    would a Jazz bass be better for that "Real Me" tone, or should I just stick with the P-Bass?

10. Did you check the link? I'd say p-bass, or Fenderbird...good luck on the latter. ;)

11. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    warmoth makes thunderbird bodies,precision necks(maple)diy!

12. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    I noticed that Bob Daisley got a similar tone to Quadrophenia on Ozzy's Blizzard of Ozz album. I'm positive that he used a Gibson EB3 for the recording. I guess these are just Gibson tones. Another thing I read when researching this tone was that Entwistle considered his Quadrophenia tone as bassy...I was thinking it sounded trebly to me.

13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It depends on what version of Quadrophenia you're listening
    to. On the original release, Enwistle has a somewhat muffled,
    treble-rolled-off woofly tone. The Fenderbird?? There is another, later release, which is the film soundtrack album which has alternate basslines that have a much more modern,
    trebly/roundwound tone. Alembic???....From what I've heard,
    John was unhappy with the bass tones on some of The Who's original releases and went in and recut several bass tracks over the years.

Slug

14. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    I'm not sure which version it is. It's on the 2002 greatest hits cd. It has wooofy sound you speak of. It cuts through and thumps like a motherf*%$#r. There's no clanky/metallicness. It's just that punchy woof sound.

15. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    Then again he gets a similar tone on Won't get Fooled Again and he said he recorded that with a precision.

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I prefer the "Live at Leeds" sound, and the sound he gets out of his Alembic on that "The Kids are Alright" DVD. There's actually some audio/video of John isolated. All you see/hear
    is John and his Alembic...Amazing....

Slug

17. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    My bass instructor said tonight that the infamous "The Real Me" tone sounds exactly like a Gibson EB-3. He said the mudbucker pickups in the neck position nail this tone. I've come to the conclusion that Fender=clanky type tones whereas Gibson=woofy, more middy tones.

18. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
  19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    No way it's an EB-3, it's a T-bird. And while they're both Gibsons, they are very different basses.