Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Entwistle's scale length

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mjw, Dec 3, 2003.

1. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Just curious......

One of my friends asked me if John Entwistle's basses were longer than "average". He said that John frequently "leaned into his basses" and that they looked "really long" as compared to what he considered to be "normal". I have 35" scale basses, and I tried to simulate a typical J.E. "playing posture", but after watching myself in a mirror (lol), it still looked liked my basses were substantially shorter than John's.

Does anyone have any info or comments related to this? Ok, maybe I'm just dreamin', but I promised my friend that I'd post this and ask. Thanks!

2. I'm pretty sure that the Status and Warwick "Buzzards" were 34" scale. The extra length may be due to the fact that Entwistle preferred basses with short-to-nonexistent upper horns and small bodies. I think his custom instruments may have had the bridges closer to the center of the body than what is typical for a bass guitar, too.