1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

envelop filters and digitech BSW

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Mar 19, 2009.

1. i bought the digitech BSW after hearing great things about its mode 1 and mode 2 (envelop filter and sub-envelop filter) but i dunno no matter what i do i cant get any usable sounds out of it, the volume drops on mode1 real bad and it doesnt sound any good anyway. i really really want a really really funky wet filter but this thing i hardly even turn it on. no matter how i twist the knobs i just cant get it to sound good. tips anyone?

so am looking at all other envelop filter pedals for under US100$, i can see EHX micro Qtron and Bassballs nano. i have'nt heard much good about the micro Qtron too :meh: but since i heard it has a internal volume trim pot it would atleast not drop the volume on me. or would it? bassballs is a very different sounding pedal from the clips i have heard and i have no idea if its actually usable or not because i really really dont want those nasty volume spikes too :atoz::mad:
    and yes, since am here in India i cannot try any pedals before i buy them and get them here. what do you guys think i should do?

2. about the BSW -

can it be you'll have to tweak the sensitivity knob? you'll need to find the sweet spot for you bass, too much sensitivity and the filter is always open, too little the filter is always closed. you'll need to find the sweet spot where it both opens and closes to your playing.

3. I can tell you that the Micro won't cause a volume drop unless you have it in the BP or HP settings (mostly the volume drop is because of the low end suckage in those settings). Got confirmation the other day in the Micro Qtron thread that the trim is for the max range on the filter. That seems to usually kill off the spikes for most of the peeps on this forum.

I have very little experience with the Bassballs, can't help you there.

I hate to recommend something to you when I don't know what you'd be into, and you have such a one-shot opportunity to get it right. I can say that I had a BSW that was really neat, but I have a HOG and a Micro, and that combination is better than anything I could get out of the BSW. YMMV.

4. thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!
    btw, i am not looking for any synth sounds at all i just want a cool wet envelop filter :)

5. In that case, I'd recommend an old DOD FX25. Not sure what the situation is like getting things on eBay in India, but that is a very well regarded env filter, and it usually goes for a good deal less than $100

6. i like its sound when i keep the sensitivity at about about 11-12 clock but in that case the volume drops. if i keep the sens at about 9oc then the volume doesnt drop but it sounds like poo:meh:

7. I second the FX25 even though I've got the FX25B with the volume drop. The sound is just...it's there IMO.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Save up for a bit more like....140 and get a line 6 FM4

9. its kinda a little too big for my board

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    But its worth it :D

11. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    Save up and pick up a 3 Leaf Audio Groove Regulator. For me, it was well worth it.
    Incredible envelope fillter.

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Stay away from the Bassballs, it doesn't do what you want. It's a very different sound to a normal envelope filter.