1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope Filter + OD / Fuzz (examples needed)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr3thepooner, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I am trying to get Geezer's tone off N.I.B. but have no money or space for Wah.
    I have access to fuzz / nice OD, and wondering if MXR Envelope would do the job.

Have been trying to find any examples of the 2 combined (OD / Envelop filter) on youtube, here using search function, but to no avail.

Anyone has a link to how that will sound, or has any experience if it will work out for what i need it?

Here is the link to the tune -

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    bunkmunk likes this.
  2. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I use an M87 and a Static Fuzz, and although the fuzz is muchmore saturated, it sounds pretty similar to the song. Just make sure you set the M87 to a very conservative setting i.e. nothing too crazy. You control the opening of the filter with your touch, so that's why you need to tame that pedal down.

3. Here's a solo from a gig I did a few years ago where I used an OD and Envelope Filter together:

I love that combo. Really cool and unique sound. But doesn't really seem to be the sound you're looking for, as it wont sound like the bass in that clip.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the AMT mini bass wah, it's not much bigger than the MXR.

5. Oh... thanks so much for the info, everyone!

And ohhh man! Bass Wizzard himself, I love your channel on youtube dude, very cool stuff!

: )

6. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    Hmm for the sabbath song i would try filter > OD/fuzz, that would help tame some of the filter and help keep the dirt character
    ODfuzz>filter would make the filter voicing more pronounced

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I was going to just offhand suggest a BassBalls, since it's a filter and a little bit of fuzz in one pedal (I have a Sweeper, which is very similar) but that won't do the NIB sound - that's way more fuzz.

Actually I can't tell what's up with the NIB tone - it doesn't exactly sound like an envelope filter (wah wah quack etc) so much as a really, really peaky overtone that takes over the sound, alllllmost ring-mod-ish.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think maybe a fuzz or overdrive plus an EQ pedal to emphasize the kind of nasal frequencies?

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I've got a fuzzy envelope filter sound in my set right now, but these may not be the droids you're looking for. (Ignore the delay and the sub-bass track put on by the producer.)

10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Dude, that's a fantastic sound! What's the setup for that? (Totally not the droid the OP is looking for, but still)

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Thanks! It's the Source Audio Manta

12. That's a cool sound you've got...

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used envelope filter (3Leaf Proton) through most of this song, and kick in OD (Darkglass VMT) during the choruses. Very different sound than what you're going for, but possibly helpful.

Dr3thepooner likes this.
  14. Wow @silky smoove that's a great track! Always digging raps on a funky backing band (ratm, etc). Definitely will check more of you peepz out! :D

Dr3thepooner likes this.
  15. Fabian_Aryo

Fabian_Aryo

Mar 24, 2014
    Port Of Spain
    You should get b1on/b1xon multi-effects, If you're ok with digital effects, they're really great.

16. So many nice suggestions and awesome music as well! @silky smoove, super track!
    I think, I might go for the tiny wah pedal which was mentioned by dannybuoy.

Thanks everyone! If anyone else has any interesting ways to get to Geezers NIB / Funky fuzzy / envelopy combos , please post away!

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I gave it a go earlier using my MXR M82 and didn't really get anywhere close to either the intro or the main riff. I did have fun getting close to the vocal synth sound on Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer though! I used to have that AMT pedal and it will get you closer than any envelope filter. Only downside is the one I had used to pop when turning it on, but not everyone had this issue so YMMV!

If you want to do it properly, get a Wilson Freaker or Chicago Iron Parachute wah - they are clones of the Tycobrahe Parapedal that was used on the original recording! I've had both of these also, keeping the wah off the board meant that board space wasn't an issue. Wah into low-medium overdrive nails the NIB sound so it can go first in the chain, as an optional modular addition to the main pedal board!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015