Envelope filter plugins for DAW?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stagelab, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    Are there any good envelope filter plugins out there for bass to use with DAWs, especially AUs for Garageband or Logic?

2. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
  3. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    This question got me thinking more, and I've decided to give this one try:

Arturia - Filter SEM

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There's an autowah built into Logic's pedalboard plugin. Its sound doesn't blow me away, but I used it on a release where a guitarist's pedal wouldn't power on at the start of a session.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Amplitube has a bunch including on based on Mu-TronIII
    The custom shop lets you try them out first.

6. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    There’s also a Moog Multimode filter available for UA Apollo. Not sure if it can run as AU in a DAW.

7. MuttThud

MuttThud

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    This is a tricky one. I’m quite fussy with envelope filters on my pedalboard (actual board, not modelled) and I’ve spent many months looking for a plugin that can do what my Source Audio Manta does on my board (which, after trying many other pedals, is the one I’ve settled on). I have tried multiple plugins. Some get close (the Overloud MarkBass emulation has effects that are OK including a bass envelope filter) but most of them seem to be designed with guitar in mind (apart from the Overloud MarkBass) and just don’t work that well on bass. I’ve tried Bias FX2, GarageBand (the Logic pedalboard effect is the same I think), Kuassa, the Reason Rack plugin effects, various plugins in Ableton Live (my main DAW) and others I have found online that weren’t great and I now can’t remember. The dedicated filter effects (eg FabFilter) with an envelope function get seriously wild very easily and so much of the bottom end of the bass just disappears.

In the end I decided to give up on the plugin route and instead I’ve built myself a recording pedalboard that I use to print the effects I want going into my DAW (including the Manta and also my MXR analogue bass octaver... another effect that doesn’t quite model right to my ears). That works for me better overall as it forces me to commit to the sound I want going “to tape”... helps with the creative process overall. Sometimes, too many options = creativity killer.

Not the answer you were looking for I know but I set off down the same road as you and that’s where I ended up.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021