1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Envelope Filter Quandry, Can You Folks Help Me Out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by R41N570RM, Aug 12, 2007.

1. R41N570RM

R41N570RM

Aug 12, 2007
    California
    Hello Everyone =)
    I beseech your advice. After much research, I am looking to buy an envelope filter to give my playing that oh so funky sound.

After looking around and reading reviews for weeks, I've somewhat narrowed it down to:

EBS BassIQ
    Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk

I'd like to ask you fine people, what are your opinions between the two? Or do you have any other advice? Anything is appreciated.

Thanks, Happy Funk'n!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What sound are you going for? Is there a particular artist or tune that has the sound you want? You'll need to be more specific than "funky". ;)

3. R41N570RM

R41N570RM

Aug 12, 2007
    California
    Well Then... I'd Say:
    That Spacebass Funk Of Bootsy Collins!
    It does indeed blow my mind.
    Wet And Funky!

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Out of the two you mentioned, if your looking for space bass, it's gotta be the Chunk 00Funk. The EBS is more organic and not that "wet" so I would recommend the Chunk.

But for the ultimate space bass sound, save up for an original mutron III - it's what Bootsy used so it's the closest you can get!

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    gooey and funky... even though i've never heard it, i'd vote for the 00Funk. i have played with the BassIQ quite a bit, and i don't feel that it gets quite juicy enough for the Bootsy vibe.

good luck!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

6. I sold my EBS BassIQ 2 days after getting it as the sound was pretty duff - not anywhere near funky enough for my tastes.

Pay attention to what Higgie says - that boy knows his FX!!!!

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I found the Agent 00Funk MkII pretty difficult to dial in - it wasn't as plug and play as other envelope filters.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The EBS is fine, and a great value for money / size, but I wouldn't say it gets you the mutron sound. I haven't tried the 00Funk so can't comment.

I've owned many env filters and IMO if you want that mutron sound, either get the real thing or check out the guyatone ultron - it's not cheap but sounds amazing.

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    As Mr_Dave says - the 00Funk is a tweaker's pedal. It's got a learning curve to it, and it does take a while to get used to it. But persevere with it, and you can get some REALLY funky sounds.

And as Mr. Wilson rightly says, The Ultron isn't cheap, but its basically a very upgraded Mu-tron. Analog circuitry but with Digital controllers like being able to actually set the tempo, and the option of expression pedal control to be used like a wah pedal. It looks awesome, but it's just too much money for me.

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Haha, cheers Kev!

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    can't believe I also forgot to mention the maxon af-9, really really close to the mutron sound. There can be issues with volume jumps when using it, in my experience and several others.

12. R41N570RM

R41N570RM

Aug 12, 2007
    California
    Wow my friends, thanks for your help!
    I think I'll be picking up the Agent then!
    Also, if it really matters, I thought I'd mention I'm not so much of a slap player, rather just a good ol' finger style. Does it make any difference? I wouldn't think so, but you guys are the experts!

Thanks Again

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Don't rule out the Q Tron. I use a Mini Q Tron and its extremely funky.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, if I was in search of Bootsy's tone from a single pedal, I would look in this order:

1) original Mu-Tron III
    2) Lovetone Meatball
    2) Q-Tron
    3) Maxon AF-9 (or the older Ibanez versions of the same thing)
    4) DOD FX 25

I read that the Guyatone Ultron is a killer option, but I've never tried one or heard any samples that I can recall. I haven't used the Agent 00Funk, but the sound clips on their website don't sound anything at all like Bootsy to me.

Also, bear in mind that his signal path has been insanely complex at times, with multiple parallel signal paths, so it is surprisingly difficult to get some of his sounds at all, never mind with any one pedal. :)

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use a MXR Auto-Q and it is very funky. I use it when I play certain parts in Higher Ground, Brick House, Superstition, etc.

It requires quite a bit of fiddling though. If your settings are off, you could lose all of your bottom (or top) end and it will just sound like one big "whoosh" if that makes any sense.

16. I just ordered one of these, I liked the soundclips on the MXR site. Hopefully I can find some cool setings!!!

17. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I would also like to echo this statement. The AF-9 was the filter I owned prior to buying the Mu-Tron III, and I would say it's probably rhe closest thing to it that is still in production.

By the way, I think the volume jump is a pro rather than a con, as it's not huge, and actually just gives a slight boost so you stand out a bit more. Really useful IMO. But it can be tamed with a compressor if you don't like that.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I also have this pedal and love it! It doesn't quite retain your tone the way the Q Tron does, but its very funky, and works very well in real world situtations as it has very useable controls. The Q control and volume control are great for setting the pedal up to be at unity gain of even a slight boost from your clean signal.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Some of us just have too much time.

20. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

couldn't have said it better myself:)