1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Envelope filter question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jens_C, Aug 20, 2019.

1. I've got this gig with a band and i'm in need of an envelope filter for some of the songs. In the past my bass micro synth always had my back, but with lower tunings it completely loses it at about the 5th fret. Any recommendations are welcome, keeping in mind I'm based in Europe. Not bustin' the bank would also be nice, it doesn't have to be the greatest pedal out there. It just has to do a job at lower tunings (DGCF, ... ).

Thanks a lot!

2. Does it "freak out" also when the octaves are turned down? Envelope filters don't need any "tracking", so there shouldn't be any reason for the micro synth's filter section not to work in the lower register. In fact, any envelope filter should be able to work in any register.

Filters are a very personal thing, and are affected SO much by each one's playing style, that it's quite difficult to make recommendations. Any particular sounds/songs you have in mind?

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If you want a one filter solution to just about any filter need My Choice now is the Source Audio Spectrum. But for a bit more money and it is about 40.00 USD the Source audio C4 has all the filters and then some with the Synth sounds added. Those two would be the way to go if you can get one.

4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Ryan L. likes this.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Just to point out that your microsynth while having an 'envelope' in what it does...isn't tracking low well because it's a synth rather than an envelope filter. True envelope filters aren't pitch-triggered but dynamics triggered. Meaning that it won't care how low or high the frequency you feed it...it's the amount of signal you feed it. Though I will say that envelopes do like 'harmonic content' being fed to them. That often means some dirt/distortion/fuzz out front.

FilterFunk, Ikkir and Jens_C like this.
  6. I've had good results with a Carl Martin optical envelope follower. It's pretty simple with low pass, band pass and high pass settings along with the usual controls.
    Made in Denmark.

NigelD, Jens_C and FilterFunk like this.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  8. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Another vote for the Broughton Joshwah.

9. Yeah, it just turns into complete mud... it clearly wasn't designed for it. Don't get me the wrong, I love the thing for what it can do! For that it's still a very important part of my setup.

10. I figured it would be something like that, thanks for explaining.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    It would be really cool if someone had a truly 'smart' envelope filter that wasn't dynamics triggered, but I have yet to see that really happen...one of the hardest parts of a good filter is getting the sensitivity threshold just right...and the minute you turn up or hit harder or softer in the moment it all goes wonky. ;)

And yes, I do like the JoshWah too. I use it as my 'regular' envelope filter. I found it fairly easy to dial in a good sound and fairly forgiving on stage. I think the gain stage sounds really good too.

Jens_C, jibreel and Ryan L. like this.
  12. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Green Zapper is especially cool on bass. It's simple in its controls and will get you where you need to go. Plus, it's inexpensive and doesn't take up much space on your pedalboard.

realmacaroni likes this.
  13. This is my weapon of choice. Tracks great. I use it in C standard tuning.

Jens_C likes this.
  14. Not exactly what you asked for; but I grew tired of the peculiarities of envelope filters (tried many), and turned to phasers for that wah-like sound.

Jens_C likes this.
  15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm not sure I understand what this means. By definition an envelope filter follows the dynamics of the incoming signal. Do you mean something that follows a fixed profile just based on a trigger?
    By way of a half-way house, have you tried placing a compressor before the filter. By flattening and restricting the extremes of the input with mild progressive compression you can tame the response of the filter.

TrevorR likes this.
  16. My favourite right now is the 3Leaf Audio Proton. However, it's not cheap. Since you are not trying to bust the bank, I'd recommend looking for second hand. The EMMA Electronic DiscumBOBulator or the MXR bass envelope filter can be found quite cheap (even in Europe), and both are good filters. If you don't mind digital, the older Source audio filters are also great. However, if money was not a problem, I'd totally go for the new Source Audio stuff (either Spectrum or C4).

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Tried?

board8.8.19.jpg

Count the compressors & limiters before the envelope filters. This is my stage board.

saltydude, David Jayne and Ryan L. like this.
  18. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Well if that won't do it...

Ryan L. likes this.
  19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    So yeah, imagine a magic world where a filter could be triggered by something like pitch... There have been a few attempts but I don't think any have been fully successful.

20. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    So filter with a side-chain fed through a multi-band compressor. High compression in the lower bands with less in the higher bands would open the filter more as pitch increases. All without affecting the dynamics of your main signal. Or feed the side-chain through a 31-band graphic EQ or hi-Q parametric where the band(s) with most boost open the filter more and the cut bands leave it closed. I don't know of any discrete pedals that have a side-chain, so you might be heading into the realms of rack gear or a software solution...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021