1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Envelope Filter Recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glasser_cannon, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Looking for a new envelope filter and not really sure what I want. I really like the Mu-Tron III vibe because you can change filter mode (LP, BP, HP) for different textures; but the only clones I've seen so far are the Maxon AF-9, Keeley Neutrino, and the 3Leaf Audio Proton V1 (if I can find one used). I use to own the MXR Bass Envelope Filter which I loved because I was able to bring my dry back so that the entire low end didn't cut out, which I really liked when I was using it in a band setting, but I had to part ways to pay bills. Really looking for an all around, good filter that is standard sized. Micro QTron is too big for the space I need to fill on my board

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Broughton JoshWah maybe?

GrapeBass, Marikk and BigBear77 like this.
  3. TonyRo

TonyRo Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    It might be worth waiting a bit to see what people think of 3Leaf's successor to the Wonderlove: Chromatron

Just released!

4. I prefer Low Pass, but that MXR BEF has the perfect blending to really quack & still retain thump/lowend. MXR is band pass, but the clean blend lends itself to help the pedal "feel" like a low pass envelope filter

Emma Discumbobulator is great, but doesn't have a clean blend. However, it has an independent boost that can help if you want just a touch more volume when turning on the effect (or, you can use it as a boost without the filter effect). IMHO - if the Emma had a good clean blend, it would be THE BEST filter I've tried to date.

I have both of these on my board, for whatever that is worth...

5. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I'm a fan of the Source Audio Manta - but I just wish they would release something in the One Series, which is a more standard size.

But the Manta does Mutron and plenty more. Has clean blend. Can bring in overdrive/dist/fuzz. Has phasers. Has a sub-library that combines multiple filters for unique sounds not found anywhere else.

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I own a Manta and a RiddleQ. Both are amazing filters and are extremely versatile. I also owned (and plan to purchase again) a Pigtronix EP-2 - easily the chewiest filter I've ever played. Not extremely versatile but there's nothing else like it.

If you want Mutron-like, the Wonderlove is worth looking at. If you want something more synth-like, the Xerograph is definitely something to try. If you want something simple that will just do what you need with no frills and a short learning curve, try the MXR BEF or the BassIQ by EBS.

If you can try all of these options, you're guaranteed to either find one to your liking, or at the least, have a much better idea of exactly what you need to get the sound in your head out and into the world. Best of luck!

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Fwonk beta

robbroncs and RissKippery like this.
  8. I think the Earthquaker Devcies Spatial Delivery is highly underrated. Great filter sounds and a fun sample and hold feature. I have the Manta too but I think the Saptial Delivery is better at stacking pedals, it plays really well with octaves before it.

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Are you looking for something cheaper than the MXR? Because it sounds like you were very happy with it; why not buy a used one? I've seen them as low as $90 shipped.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Fwonkbeta, or Zoom MS-60B for it's Q-Tron clone.

Heard good things about the Donner Dynamic Wah too. Smallest and cheapest of all the options discussed, so worth a look!

alack likes this.
  11. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I will give you a unortodox suggestion - EHX Stereo Talking Machine.
    It has typical autowah and bassballs mods, but also VERY cool vocal filters. You can combine those with included fuzz and/or LFO section, and then blend that with dry signal.
    When you are done, memorize up to 10 settings and recall them easily.
    I even managed to set mine so autowah doesn't trigger, and I use only fuzz.
    Amazing pedal, unique and very usable.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Surprised no one has suggested the Micro-Tron III.

PeterH and HolmeBass like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I really enjoy the original discumbobulator!

MikeSpector and the_home like this.
  14. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I finally found my favorite filter after 2 years of trying diffrent ones.
    Its the Moog mf 101 lpf.
    It does everything i want/need in a filter.
    Its a bit big but worth its weight in gold.

MikeSpector likes this.
  15. Aguilar Filter Twin $199.99 new most places.

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  16. Lovetone meatball

ferarayabass and Clark Dark like this.
  17. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Another +1 for the FwonkBeta. Or if you can find one the Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe.

RissKippery and HolmeBass like this.
  18. Then I assume you have the Qtron already. Right? You are saying that you want a 'new' envelope filter. Nr1 'old' Envelope filter is the Qtron... and should be nr1 on every funk bass player gear list :)

Rogulus and DrThumpenstein like this.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I use an IE Xerograph Deluxe (with expression pedal) and also a Broughton Joshwah. Different but awesome, both. I also have a v1 3 Leaf Proton, but the IE and the Broughton are just better.

Loring, HolmeBass and MDH bass like this.
  20. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Very versatile....

MDH bass and WhenTheDrumsStops like this.