1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

envelope filter suggestion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jebo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jebo

jebo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    So I dusted off my old Moog Lowpass filter today to try out again and realized that sucks a lot of tone from my signal! I got a gig coming where I could use an envelope filter. Does anyone have a suggestion for an analog envelope filter with a true bypass? I'm looking for that old school liquid-ey sound.

I've been out of the loop recently when it comes to gear and I don't know of any of the new stuff thats out there right now.

2. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    3leaf groove regulator gets a lot of praise

i think the new EHX q tron + are TB (i got an old one that sounds KILLER!, put an assmaster in the fx loop!!)

again with EHX the q-balls has plenty of good things said about it

its all subjective tho i guess... i had a boomstick bottom feeder which plenty of ppl rave about, but i just didnt get on with it!!

3. jebo

jebo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    I've never heard of the 3leaf groove regulator before.

I'm pretty sure all the new E-H stuff is true-bypass.

is this what you are refering to being the q-balls?... http://www.ehx.com/products/enigma

If its anything like the bassballs I wouldn't want it. Thats not the sound I want.

4. oggdawg

oggdawg

Oct 25, 2009
    The EXH Enigma Q-balls is awesome. I highly recommend.

5. jebo

jebo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    yeah I just watched the video on that link. It looks pretty cool. I still think it sounds a little more modern than something I'm looking for. But its worth a try.

6. billphreets

billphreets

Oct 1, 2009
    q tron + ??

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I am very happy with my MXR envelope filter.

8. sucho2000

sucho2000

Nov 19, 2009
    3Leaf Groove Regulator....

It keeps your bass tone when engaged.
    But if you want something more like synth bass sound
    EHX?

But highly recommend 3Leaf :hyper:

9. +1 on the Groove Regulator
    it's very flexible, versatile and usable.
    It's based on the no longer available Lovetone Meatball, which I have heard many says is the wildest and grooviest envelope filter ever made.
    It's got some nice features on it, including an FX loop and it's very small compared to most

10. You should definitely check out the groove regulator! It sounds great, it's very versatile, but still completelys traight forward to use. The guy who makes it, Spencer, is a TB'er - and a great guy to deal with. You can find some soundclips on 3leafaudio.com.

11. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    The 3Leaf really shines when played live at gig volume.

12. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Just researched this myself and decided on the MXR envelope filter. From what I read/heard/watched, it gets nice and wet but not too terribly crazy and that's what I was looking for.

13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    whats the volume boost like on the MXR? anyone know? if it falls into the "there is one but you dont need a compressor" category, i might be sold.

14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm very happy with the Groove Regulator. The newer versions of the Q-tron are pretty good too, as is the Boomstick Bottom Feeder.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1 to all the 3Leaf suggestions. It's got a great tone, is easy to use, and the builder is a TB'er and a great guy. It's not going to give you a synthy, electronic-type sound (by most people's characterizations anyway), but it is a great pedal.

16. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I chose the MXR over the 3Leaf mainly due to limited real estate on my pedal board. I think the 3Leaf (which I have played) is warmer and more organic, the MXR wetter and more in-your-face. Both are true bypass, so no worries there.

There's no need to have unwanted volume boost on the MXR, because you have independent volume controls for both the dry and wet signals... so you can get the wet/dry ratio and the overall volume dialed in any way you want.

Played a gig Friday night in a very crowded, noisy bar and I ripped into a solo on my Stingray 5 fretless through the MXR envelope, and the room went dead quiet! Everyone stopped talking to listen... and I actually got applause at the end of the solo!

:hyper:

17. Buy the WMD Fatman/Super Fatman...

I've never heard something that can get close to it. It's a sick pedal.

It's more versatile than any other envelope filter out there.

18. jebo

jebo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2009
    has anyone ever tried the EBS bass IQ? How does it compare? it seems to be very small and strait forward to use.

19. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

DOD FX25 is pretty cool. I also like the Digitech BSW: the octave filter setting (type 2, I think) is awesome, tracks better than my BOD !

Waiting for Boss FT-2 I got off the Bay recently... been hearing a lot of good stuff about it. I also have a modded Bassballs (I understand you're not a fan) and a DOD FX25b. Probably not going to keep'em all, but for know, I'm having a ball !

20. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The BassIQ sounds great and is very versitile, considering it has two knobs and a switch. It can do greasy up-sweeps, gulping down-sweeps, subtle blips, and enormous synthy lasers.